Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Elements 2021 - cannot import MTS files

New Here ,
Feb 24, 2021 Feb 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

I am using PE 2021 on MacOS Big Sur and unable to import MTS files from SD recorded with Canon XA10. The import worked fine with MacOS Catalina and PE2018 and stopped there after upgrade to Big Sur. Therefore I decided to upgrade tp PE 2021 hoping that this version will fix the issue, but it is still there. 

PE 2021 or Organizer recognizes the SD card, but then it is failing with something like "This device does not contain any supported media"(Sorry if this is not the correct wording, as I am using German version which displays"Dieses Gerät enthält keine unterstützen Medien")

It's not a problem with the SD card as iMovie does not have a problem to recognize and read the MTS. 

Also, there is no problem to import NEF files from another SD card or mp4s from a Sony action cam.

Is this a known problem or is there some setting I need to enable/adjust?

Thanks,

Gerald

TOPICS
Error or problem , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 24, 2021 Feb 24, 2021

Premiere Elements has been able to work with M2TS video since version 10 -- so I'm not sure what's up here.

Have you tried leaving the card in the camcorder and using the program's Video Importer to get the video from the camcorder to your computer an into your project? It's the best way to ensure you're grabbing the right files.

I demonstrate this preferred method at about 2:30 in this tutorial.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Feb 24, 2021 Feb 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere Elements has been able to work with M2TS video since version 10 -- so I'm not sure what's up here.

Have you tried leaving the card in the camcorder and using the program's Video Importer to get the video from the camcorder to your computer an into your project? It's the best way to ensure you're grabbing the right files.

I demonstrate this preferred method at about 2:30 in this tutorial.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2021 Mar 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Steve,

today I connected my XA10 via USB to my Mac and found that PE's Video Importer was able to see the MTS correctly, although without timestamps. Honestly, I have newver used that way to grab the clips, but always removed the SD card fom the camcorder, put it into a card reader and import it from there. This is quite simplier (and faster) for me and is still working for my  Sony ActionCam MicroSD and my Nikon D5300 SD.

Anyway, it is good that I am able again to have a method to copy my Canon clips into PE and my local hdisk.

Cheers,

Gerald

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 25, 2021 Feb 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Proper way is to copy entire card to hdd first and then import into Elments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2021 Mar 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Ann,

my fault - PE can still import MTS files even directly from the SD card, but honestly, I have never used it that way

I recognized that my problem is with Organizer-Photo downloader, which I am using to copy not only my fotos, but my videos as well,  automatically in camera/record-date folder structure. Unfortunately this functionalitly is lo longer working for MTS files., at least for my Canon XA10's SD card As you suggested I copied AVHCD container to my local drive and from this photo downloader can import MTS files, but it is just an import and not a copy of the clip to the appropriate date folder. Curiously photo downloader can still act as expected with my Sony ActionCam MicroSD which contains MP4 clips.

Cheers,

Gerald

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines