• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Elements 2021 doesn't import Avi or MP4 files. Buying another product

New Here ,
Dec 14, 2020 Dec 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded the trial of Premiere Elements 2021 and tried to make a movie using MP4 files. 

Got an error message.  Then I tried to make a movie with AVI files. 

Got an error an error message: 

"This type of file is not supported, or the required codec is not installed."

I am not going to purchase the product.  I suggest other people try it out, they may want to look for a product that will work with the files they have.  

TOPICS
Error or problem , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Avi is a container/wrapper. What is important is the codec inside the avi.

The only avi supported by Elements and are avi's from DVcameras.

So might want to check what codec is inside by posting a screenshot of the clip in Mediainfo in treeview.

MediaInfo windows

MediaInfo Mac

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Ann says, if you're asking for help, we're glad to help you.

Premiere Elements definitely does edit AVI files. DV-AVI files, the one-time standard format for video editing. 

If it's not importing MP4s either, you've got something going on that's not related to the program. 

Too bad you've moved on to another product. You'll likely find the same issues there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2021 Jul 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there - I have Premiere Elements 2020 and want to extract a still from a .AVI video. Its video codec is H264 (from Mediainfo windows) - can this be converted to a form that Premiere can process?

Many thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Elements does not support h.264 in an avi container. You dont need elements to get a stll you can do that with the vlc player otherwise convert the file with handbrake to a mp4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can also easily convert the H-264/AVI to a more standard MP4 using the free download Handbrake. You'll then be able to edit the file or extract stills from in any editing program, including Premiere Elements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2021 Aug 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does Handbrake do a better job of converting H.264 AVI to MP4 than Video Editor that comes with Windows? VE does a mostly decent job except for the occasional random frames that come out an entirely different color.  It chews up a lot of time having to search for those frames and delete them.  Any info as to why that happens?

I've been able to edit H264 AVI in Video Pad, but I'd rather use Premiere Elements.  I'm more comfortable with its features. This old dog doesn't mind learning new tricks, he just wants to build on what he already has. lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 19, 2021 Aug 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want more control over converting clips have a look at.

Shutter Encoder encoding|converting video FREE PC|Mac

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for the suggestion.  I've decided to go with Hand Brake.  Control is not as much as an issue as reliability.  The Video Editor in Windows not only would give an occasional frame with false color rendering, but also makes duplicate copies of the final frame at the end.  Hand Brake doesn't do that.  I also like how it will queue up several files and convert them automatically without having to manually start the process for each file.  Get the process started and move on to something else, which allows more efficient use of time.  I produce travel-oriented videos from a dashcam (road trips, driving fails).  The last thing I want to do is to inspect several days of footage looking for the false colored frames and trailing frames at the end.  That takes longer than the trip itself!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines