Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Elements 9 & 15

Community Beginner ,
Jan 01, 2021 Jan 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again!

I have two copies of PRE one on my Toshiba Satellite laptop and one on the desktop. 9 is on the laptop and 15 on the desktop. I have had some odd occurrences lately whilst capturing some old holiday videos on VHS. If I capture using a USB device to PRE9 on the laptop, the capture goes ok as an AVI file. However, when I put the file on the timeline it only shows the first minute. If I use the software that came with the USB device the audio lags by about 8 secs.

I also have a Panasonic DVD recorder if I use that to capture the VHS footage and transfer it to DVD it seems fine. I then capture from the DVD into PRE15 on the desktop and bits are missing from the footage. I captured a  30min video onto the Panasonic then copied to DVD. The DVD had two VOB files. Copy the two VOB files to PRE15 it shows both VOB files and total time is 30mins, but the last 5 mins of the first VOB file are not there. If I play the DVD the missing footage is there and plays fine. If I capture the footage into Handbrake and encode as Fast 576 it comes out as an m4v file. This then transfers to PRE15 with all the missing footage in place. I wonder how much other footage I have lost when using PRE15. Anyone got a clue what is going on, please?

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 01, 2021 Jan 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Files produced by DVD recorders can be problematic due to compression used.

Stick to Handbrake.

If you really want to capture good footage use firewire and an AV converter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 09, 2021 Jan 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ann,

The AV converter seems to give an 8sec lag in the audio. 

The quality of the video is very good from the DVD recorder, I just couldn't understand why PRE would not show the last 5 mins. despite it being on the disk. Still, I've sorted it now loaded the disk into Handbrake and then encoded from there all ok now. I no longer have a firewire card on my pc, as all video nowadays is done with my Lumix FZ1000 and transferred to the pc from the SD card.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 09, 2021 Jan 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you saying that you're capturing VHS by first capturing it to a DVD then using a converter to convert the DVD files to editable video? That's probably not the best way to work. Every conversion sacrifices something and, as you've seen, increases the likelihood of problems.

It would be wiser to simply capture the VHS video in a format that can be edited. Then you won't have these other issues. Here's the best device for doing that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 10, 2021 Jan 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve,

I have tried capturing the VHS using PRE9 on my laptop as an AVI file.

The files are about 10Gb, I then transfer this AVI file to the timeline but it only seems to display the first minute.

I have also tried copying the AVI file to a memory stick and loading into PRE15 on my desktop, this tells me the file is corrupt. So that is why I am copying to my DVD recorder and then editing in PRE15. If I take the disk load into Handbrake, I can remove a lot of the tape noise, encode as M4v and then that goes into PRE15 and works ok. Just a bit longwinded.

Cheers,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, that seems like a lot of extra work -- and converting -- to me. With the Diamond VC500 and the instructions in my tutorial, you can save your captured video as MP4s and load them directly into the program for editing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Steve,

I'll give that a try.

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2021 Jan 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Steve,

I tried PotPlayer, it aw my device but would not show any video on the screen.

However, NCH do a free version of Debut that works a treat, so all good now, Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines