• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Elements runs on laptop with 2nd monitor but not on laptop alone

Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2018 Oct 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have a very odd situation where I have installed Premiere Elements 2018 on my Dell XPS15 laptop with Intel i7-6700 HQ CPU @ 2.60 GHz, 16 GB RAM, OS Windows 10 Home, 64 bit.  For my home set up, I use a Dell D3100 Dock and connect both the laptop and a Dell P2415Q monitor and use the separate monitor as my primary display.  Both displays have a resolution of 3840 x 2160, the laptop display refreshes at 59 Hz and the Dell monitor at 30 Hz.  The laptop monitor is connected to Intel HD Graphics 530 and I also have Nvidia GeForce GTX960M (not sure if this is too much info but not sure what is relevant).

When I am at home, I can open Elements without issue, add media and play that media in elements before making any adjustments with the external Dell monitor as primary display.  I can even drag the entire Elements window over onto the laptop monitor and continue to play the media.  The programme will also close without a problem.

The issue arises when I am away from home and just have the laptop, I can open Elements and import media files but when I click play, nothing happens.  Also, the programme will never close down properly, it always crashes and sends an error report.

I am totally bemused by this and out of my depth so hope someone in the community can help.

thanks, Karen

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to the Dell support site and see if there are other graphics drivers available for your laptop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.  Did that, there were a number of updates and have installed all of them however the problem persists.  Interestingly, I started Elements when the laptop was still connected to the docking station but the external monitor was turned off.  Elements worked fine on the laptop monitor.  I closed the pc down, disconnected from the dock and restarted, back to square one, Elements opened, I was able to add media but it would not play and Elements would still not close down.

Any other ideas?

thanks, Karen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Karen,

Anything happen when you click on Window > Restore Workspace?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I didn't notice anything change on the screen and doing this did not resolve the issue.

thanks, Karen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, I tried again and got a different result

Opened Elements as per normal, added media, then  clicked Window > Restore Workspace, this was the result:

2018-10-20 (2).png

Tried clicking on both Play buttons but no response, had to crash out of Elements again.

Any ideas?  thanks, Karen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines