I have been using Adobe Premiere Elements for several weeks. A few days ago I started seeing an error message when I launch the program. See screenshot "Premiere Elements Open Error" attachment. The error says "Unable to create a project at default location. Please give write permissions to the 'Documents' folder or save project at different location." I opened Properties on the Documents folder then opened the Security tab then clicked the Advanced button. I see that my user account (Don) on the computer is the Owner and also has FULL PERMISSION. I then checked the "Replace all child object permissions entries with inheritable permission entries from this object" box and clicked the Apply button then OK then OK. Now I KNOW that I have full permission on the Documents folder and everything under it.
If I click on the OK button then I see what is depicted in the "Premiere Elements Save Location" screenshot attached here. Since that should work after the changes I made above I click OK. Then I see a message "Project already exists" and I click Yes. Then I see the message about Scratch Disks and click Yes. Then I see the original message "Unable to create a project at default location...." Now I am in a loop and have to end the process with Task Manager to get out.
BTW, if I click the "Learn more" button on the original message I am taken to a web page with a 404 Not Found error. Also, I restarted the computer to make sure the permission changes I made took effect but that did not help.
Any help would be appreciated.
Copy link to clipboard
I'm not sure what's up with your computer, Don, but I've never experienced anything like that and I'm pretty confident that there's nothing in the program that's causing these messages.
You don't say what operating system you're on but, assuming it's Windows 10. Are you using an antivirus or firewall other than Windows Defender?
Also, how much free, clean, defragmented space is on your hard drive? Have you tried running Malware Bytes to ensure you don't have any malware?
Yes, I am running Windows 10. Winver says build 1903. Defrag says the drive is 0% fragmented. It is set to optimize the drive weekly. I don't remember setting that up. I think Windows 10 does it automatically. Free space is 143GB. I was able to save files from the Serif program Affinity Photo and from Irfanview and from Microsoft Word to the same directory Premiere Elements said it could not save to. See Bill313's comment below. I was an IT tech for 20 years until I retired a couple of years ago and the types of errors I am seeing are similar to those for which we had found the application was not working correctly with Windows permissions. According to this page
Adobe offers phone support for Premiere Elements 2020 so I guess I'll try that.
Very new to this site but I've had the same problem with two other programs. According to a person with Microsoft, the problems I'm having with my programs is that the developers of the programs have not update the programs to be compatable with windows 10 version 2004 that was released two months ago. Give that your problems are the same as mine I would say the cause is also the same and will remain a problem until the developers get ahead of the curve.
Thanks for the note. I had wondered if it was a problem like this, although my build is 1903, not 2004 but I'll see if I can call Adobe support about it and let you all know what they say.
Which versions of Premiere Elements are you guys working with? I've not experienced anything like this with version 2020 and I'm using Windows 10 2004.
I would like to duplicate the issue so I can investigate it at my end.
Sorry for the long delay in getting back to you all. I called Adobe support and they did a remote control session on my computer. After testing several things, including having me log in as an Administrator (and it worked ok) they said my Windows 10 login profile was corrupt and I'd need to make a new one. I really didn't want to do that and I remembered that I had enabled something called "Controlled Folder Access" in the "Ransomware Protection" section of Windows Security. I disabled the setting and that fixed the problem. Apparently Controlled Folder Access was preventing Premiere Elements from making changes to its own save folder. I guess this is a lesson for me to not enable some Windows feature, especially a security feature without understanding all the implications.