• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem converting Hi8 Camcorder digital media to video files using Premiere Elements 14

Participant ,
May 10, 2020 May 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a Hi8 sony camcorder and wish to convert some Hi8 tape cassettes to digital files on my PC

The PC (Dell XPS 8910) has no firewire input so my only option is to use a USB connector from the camcorders out to my PC.

The PC cannot "see" the camcorder so I cannot import  the video into my Premiere Elements 14 software

I tried to download video drivers but they would not install on my W10 PC

How can I fix this problem

Any info/advice greatly appreciated

TOPICS
Error or problem , Export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 11, 2020 May 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You do need firewire to do this properly.

Find an old pc, put a firewire card in and capture with e.g. WinDV 

Which sony model exactly?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere Elements 14 has no facilities for capturing analog media.

Rather capture your camcorder's video over a USB connection using the Diamond VC 500 (from Amazon for about $40). The video captured by this device is perfectly editable in Premiere Elements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your responses

Steve - The camcorder is a Sony DCR TRV740 has no RCA outs so the VC500 could not be used.

Ann-     Could install a firewire card on my current two year old Dell PC? If so would my PC be able to recognize my sony camcorder and could I then use PremEl 14 to import the Hi8 footage??

Thanks again for your help 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It not a HI8 camera but a Digital 8 camera which can play HI8 tapes (there is a big difference).

But my firewire suggestion still stands.

I recently captures several hi8 and D8 tapes over firewir and no out of sync issues. Which you are most likely to get with those usb devices. But that is my opinion.

You can however use the vc500 but you need to use the A/V cable that comes with the camera.

Check your manual.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Provlina, I'm sure your camcorder has RCA plugs -- or at least an adapter with RCA plugs on the end. That's standard. So the VC500 would work.

Ann's solution will also work and it used to be the preferred method, but:

a) You'll have to find an old, used Digital8 camcorder that is backwards compatible. Later models were not and only the backwards compatible ones can play Hi8 tapes.

b) You'll have to buy and install into your computer an IEEE-1394 Fireware jack, which I can't guarantee will work. It didn't for me. FireWire is considered old technology and virtually no computers have it anymore.

If it were me (and I DO have a backward compatible Digital8 camcorder) I'd spring $40 for Diamond VC500.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had a firewire card installed in a new custom computer: works fine with Premiere Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines