Highlighted

Problems adding MP4 video

New Here ,
Aug 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just installed Premier Elements 15 and when I try to add .mp4 videos, it's not recognizing them as videos and only uploads the audio.  When I try to drag and drop the files, it tells me they are audio only, which they not.  Sorry if I'm missing something simple as I'm a first time user of this application.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Problems adding MP4 video

New Here ,
Aug 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just installed Premier Elements 15 and when I try to add .mp4 videos, it's not recognizing them as videos and only uploads the audio.  When I try to drag and drop the files, it tells me they are audio only, which they not.  Sorry if I'm missing something simple as I'm a first time user of this application.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 17, 2017 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What model of camcorder is this video coming from and what resolution is the video?

If it's non-camcorder video, it may have a variable frame rate and will need to be reprocessed before it can be edited.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 17, 2017 0
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steve, thanks for the response.  These files were just recorded on a Tactacam 4.0 in 2.7K at 30 fps.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 19, 2017 0
Aug 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no idea what format and compression settings a Tactacam uses, Arlen.

Please open one of those videos in the free download MediaInfo. Set MediaInfo's View to Tree and then cut and paste the data it reports to this forum.

Once we know what the file is made of, we'll be better able to advise you.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 19, 2017 0
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tactacam4VideoFileDetails.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 19, 2017 0
Aug 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is nothing in this report that would indicate why you're having trouble editing this video. It seems like a pretty standard MP4.

You may want to try installing Quicktime 7. The program is supposed to not need Quicktime components anymore -- but sometimes it still does.

QuickTime 7.6 for Windows

The Quicktime Player itself is considered to be a security risk -- so, once you've installed it, you can browse into the Program Files and change QuicktimePlayer.exe to QuicktimePlayer.old to disable it. But the other components that are installed with it can expand the program's ability to work with some types of video.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 19, 2017 0
New Here ,
Aug 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steve, I installed Quicktime as suggested and seem to have the same problem.  However, I did notice something.  I recorded about 9 segments at the same time, all at the same settings on the camera.  However, I was only trying to work with some of the later files.  The details above were from one of the first 4, which I had not been working with, but I appear to be able to pull in as videos.  The last 5 segments, however will not.  There appear to be some differences in the details of the first 4 and the last 5.  I'm not sure what would have caused the differences.  The Tactacam is fairly simple, you either pic normal speed @ 1x magnification, normal speed @5x magnification, or recording at Slo Mo for more fps.  Again, I recorded them all at 1x@normal speed.  Not sure if the card being used or anything else could have caused a difference in the later files.  Regardless, here are the details of one of the files I need to use.  Any feedback is greatly appreciated.tactacam4VideoFileDetails2.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 20, 2017 0
Aug 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The biggest issue here is your video's dimensions -- 2704x1524. Though your video is also using something called an MP24 video codec. That's some pretty non-standard video.

You're not going to be able to work with a video with those specs in Premiere Elements.

You can try using Handbrake to convert the video to a 1920x1080 MP4. It's going to lose a lot of resolution, but at least you'll be able to edit it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 20, 2017 0