• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Prores files not working as they did with previous versions of PE

New Here ,
Nov 28, 2017 Nov 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just installed the full version of PE 2018 on another computer and the prores files don't work on mine or the other computer so I've ruled out it being our end. At first I thought it was just the trial being at fault and went ahead and purchased the program, especially as Adobe said they had no problem with this issue.

These mov files used to work on both Premiere Elements 13 & 15 but it no longer seems to be the case. I am hoping someone can try a prores file and confirm this.
The prores files are HD mov files, 1080 and up to 4k and are common with 3rd party effects/transitions retailers such as rampant design etc.
Mov files as you would get from a movie camera work ok.

Would love to hear if anyone can get them to display properly (only show as blank green images), they should show light leaks and other effects, as recorded and saved in this HD format.

Many thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If Quicktime is not installed on your machine, try doing that.  There are choices in the installation where only the support files or codecs are installed. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought I would see what would happen on my Windows 10 PC with a ProRes file created with Prodad Mercalli V4 SAL.

With Quicktime installed, I can successfully import a ProRes file into Premiere Elements 15. In Premiere Elements 2018, the file imports without error message, but the video is just green. If Quicktime isn't installed, there is a "codec missing" error message when importing a ProRes file.

This isn't the only codec that seems to be broken in Premiere Elements 2018 (v.16) that worked okay in Premiere Elements 15.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Robert,

As a user, I certainly don't know what happened or didn't happen to PrRes capability.

I'm confident that the purpose of Premiere Elements is to be a consumer targeted editing system for video from cameras that consumers would have.  Frankly, I know nothing about ProRes files or ever expect to have a camera that would shoot it.  I had to look it up.

From Wikipedia:  "ProRes is a line of intermediate codecs, which means they are intended for use during video editing, and not for practical end-user viewing. "

From Apple:  "Apple ProRes is one of the most popular codecs in professional post-production. The Apple ProRes family of video codecs has made it both possible and affordable to edit full-frame, 10-bit, 4:2:2 and 4:4:4:4 high-definition (HD), 2K, 4K, 5K, and larger video sources with multistream performance in Final Cut Pro X"

I guess that means I'm not concerned that ProRes does or does not work in PrE 2018.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for confirming this. I see only green video also. People have asked me many times why I need to use it and it's nothing to do with high end video but simply that a lot of transitions and effects creators save in this format and I have a sizeable database of these files now that I wish to continue using with future versions of PE.
I have quiktime installed and this doesn't seem to be the problem as prores still works in PE 13
Hoping I can get Adobe to see that it is broken at last.

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2017 Nov 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe have found the problem and gave me the solution.

If you go to your drive:\users\username\appdata\roaming\adobe\premiere elements\16  folder, you need to edit the debug database.txt file and find the string "QT.EnableDirectProResDecode 1 1" and change the first value from 1 to 0.
The end result being "QT.EnableDirectProResDecode 0 1"

That fixed the issue with it not displaying properly.

Whspraque, seriously you're reading too much into the format, it just simply means you can use high quality transitions and effects in premiere elements or other editors, they are just mov files with great quality , nothing about end user output. If you've ever used track matte transitions you would love the quality these files have.

Anyhow, happy it's all working again. Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 03, 2017 Dec 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the solution on this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines