• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Question, does the TRIAL version of Elements 2020 allow the import of HEVC files?

Explorer ,
Oct 25, 2019 Oct 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am strugglling to get HVEC H.265. imported into Organizer or Premier Elements. I have the latest October 2019 Windows, HEVC pluggin from MS $.99 and the Trial versions of Elements 2020. Any advice is very much apperciated 

HEVC problem.jpg

UPDATE 28th October 2019: The trial version does allow HEVC file imports, just not on one of my machines.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 25, 2019 Oct 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The trial version is the same as the paid for version.  HEVC is supposed to work.  I tried some borrowed source files and got similar results.  I've not resolved it.  

Would you send me a source clip via DropBox or similar for me to try on my machine.  I might get lucky and get it figured out. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 26, 2019 Oct 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @whsprague

I have sent you a private message with a link to a sample file, thanks for any help

Mick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick,

I got your iPhone sample.  Thanks.  Good news is that it worked on my computer in the PrE 2020 version.  Bad news is that it does not on yours and I don't know why.  

(My other attempt at HEVC a couple weeks ago failed.  That may have been because the source of the borrowed clips was not reliable. ) 

I'm quite sure HEVC won't work in the 2019 version.  My computer is a strong Windows version.  I paid Microsoft the $.99 for the HEVC codec and installed it.  However, I can't figure out how to find out through Windows if it really is installed!

With the $.99 codec installed, I see a thumbnail in the Add Media window.   Do you see that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi whsprague

Thanks for the quick response.

I don't get that far, the import fails before I see it in the add media window. 

To check if your Windows machine has the HEVC codec installed go to your windows setting:
settings > Apps > Search for hevc

I have the HVEC codec installed, I can play HVEC videos in the native windows photos app

Are you running the trial, or have you paid your money and have a product key?

Regards

Mick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mick,  

I have the paid for with serial number version installed.   That shouldn't make a difference, but it might.  

You might also try the "Online Support" choice in the Help menu.  Adobe staff can log on to your computer in an online "chat" and see what is happening.  

If you want to try that, you can buy directly from Adobe and have a week (maybe two?) full refund window.  It is not as easy if you buy from a retailer. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update, I've installed the trial on another machine, it has no issue with HEVC files. It must therefore be a local issue. I might uninstall everything and start again. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 27, 2019 Oct 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. I have windows 10 pro version 1903, NVidia card updated, and Microsoft HEVC codec bought and installed. I cannot import HEVC videos saved with Samsung mobile on Elements Organizer neither open with premiere elements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 27, 2019 Oct 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I forgot one thing. I can play these same videos from the windows 10 video player.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mick,

Thanks for the update.   HEVC (H.265) editing is a new feature.  There have been a couple posts with some confusion in them about if it works.  Part of it is the unusual requirement to buy a ninety-nine cent codec from Microsoft.   I've now have it working and you've got it working on a second machine.  I have to conclude it works.  In my case I think it was something went wrong installing the codec.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 28, 2020 Feb 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there,

We're sorry for the experience you've had. We have been actively working on finding a solution to this issue. We have identified that this is happening because of the permissions provided to the HEVC video extension.

Check out this article to fix it: https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-elements/faq-what-should-i-do-if-premiere-elements-2020-fail...

Let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Shivangi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines