• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Adobe Premiere Elements 2018 has stopped working" when I try to add video media

New Here ,
Mar 24, 2018 Mar 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used Premiere 2010 for years, started to have driver issues and could not preview the videos when editing them, video window went black but I could here the sound.  Decided perhaps I should get the latest version which I did purchase.  I can open the program, but when I try to add video files to the storyboard it gives me the same pop up error as written above.  I tried many files at first then went down to just one file to add, same error, any suggestions?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 25, 2018 Mar 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To work this out, it will take a detailed description of your computer, camera and the files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi thank you,

The video files are MTS, not sure what camera as I did not take them, believe it was a cannon HD camcorder.

Computer is an HP laptop;

Intel core i5-5300U CPU @ 2.3 GHz

Installed memory (RAM). 8.00 GB

System Type:  64-bit Operating System

Running Windows 7 Enterprise, service pack 1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try turning off Hardware acceleration in the Preferences > General Panel.  Then start a new project and try adding the media again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This may not be solvable.  It depends on the structure of your files.  Can you use the (free) MediaInfo, examine a MTS file in the "tree" view and post a screen shot of the Audio section?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you say preferences>general panel are you talking about on my computer or in the Adobe software?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found what you were talking about in the Adobe software, it did not work.

Are MTS files not common?  When I double click on them they play fine in my windows media player?

Is there a fix for this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MTS files are common.  Can you use the (free) MediaInfo program to examine one of your files and paste a screen shot of the "tree" view.  Can you put a clip on DropBox with a link here? 

My first guess for the black screen is usually video driver issues.   If they have not been updated to the latest available, please try that.  If it is the latest, try to "roll back" to an earlier version. 

I'm also concerned that version 2018 on Windows 7 is going to have audio issues with AVCHD (MTS) files.  It has to do with decisions made at Adobe about how Dolby codecs will work 2018 and forward.   

Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a link to one of the files I am trying to upload into my new Premier Elements 2018,

Dropbox - 00009.MTS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can watch it at the DropBox link, but I can't download it.  Can you put it on DropBox as a file to be downloaded?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I put it on dropbox as a file and clicked on link to share file as a link, it says anyone you share this link with can view file, I checked the settings for the link and the file is downloadable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried adding some mov files I had worked with before, I was able to add them, however once I added them I tried to click from "guide" to "expert" at the top and the software crashed again giving me the same pop up error.

Does this software work or not?  I am getting frustrated...is it my computer?

I worked with Premier Elements 10 for years, edited and published 30+ videos with background sound etc.

I need software that works.  Need suggestions as I have a to edit a video for a customer due this week.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no question that Premiere Elements "works".   The issue is why it is not working for you and I'm trying!

I suspect the file and I suspect your computer may both be issues.

I can watch the video they way you put it on DropBox but I can't copy it to my computer to check it.  It is necessary to find out if it uses AC-3 Dolby audio.  You can either try again or do it yourself with the (free) MediaInfo program.  It will be in the "tree" view.

I also suspect your computer.  AVCHD/MTS files are common and use a codec that make computers work pretty hard.  Your computer CPU ranks 3785 on the PassMark CPU Benchmarks - High Mid Range CPUs .  For good video editing it should rank about twice that or more on the PassMark Intel vs AMD CPU Benchmarks - High End   chart.

Your memory at 8GB is on the low side, but might be enough as long as nothing else is using memory.   Adobe states that 4GB is the minimum. 

On top of everything else, Premiere Elements 2018 is part of the list of software that Adobe no longer provides AC-3 Dolby audio support.  That is not a problem if you have Windows 8 or 10.  If you have Windows 7, Premiere Elements 2018 will not be able to read the audio tracks if your MTS files are of the AVCHD system that I suspect it is.  Reference:  Adobe Creative Cloud apps use native OS support for Dolby

I'm sorry I can't be of more help.

Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill,

I appreciate all your help and time with me.  I am up for a computer upgrade with my company and will demand it tomorrow as my youtube videos have created a lot of business for my company.  If I get a new computer, how can I recover my software download link without being charged again?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

When you buy, you get a serial number.  It allows you to install it and keep it active on two computers.  The fine print says you should use it only on one at a time.   I think you can install it on many computers as long as only two are "signed in".

The actual install software can be downloaded from Download Adobe Premiere Elements | 2018, 15, and 14

In the Help menu there is a "Sign Out".  That should reset your count for the serial number to 2.

If you can't get it to open to reach the help menu like in a complete crash, Adobe Customer service can reset your "count".

Good luck with the new computer!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also the black window when I was trying to watch in PE 2010, could not find a driver to fix it, that is why I bought 2018.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines