• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Importer Reported a Generic Error" Please Help me...

New Here ,
Aug 05, 2017 Aug 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Everyone,

I just recently got Elements 15 and It has worked fine for me up until now.

I am using it to edit vlogs shot from an IPhone 5 and, as a result, I am primarily working with a lot (Usually about 200) smaller clips per video. What I do while editing is import the clips in Chronological order and edit through them and then load in the next bunch. Recently, though I am having an issue loading in some files.

I'll import a full day of clips (Here its only about 20 clips) and Elements says it cant import about half of them and only explains "Importer Reported a Generic Error," which probably wins the award for least helpful error message I've ever received.

What is so weird to me is that all of the clips I am importing were shot on the same camera on the same day and are pretty much identical in format, yet it is randomly choosing some clips that are fine to import and some that are having errors. I cannot figure out the variable.

I have seen a similar post to this one where someone recommended clearing out the Media Cache Files and I tried that to no success.

I am really hoping that I am missing one thing that will fix this and that I don't have to go through and change all of the clips individually, as I really try to edit this stuff as quickly as I can.

if ANYONE has any suggestions that would be insanely appreciated!

Thanks so much and happy editing!

-Sam

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Assuming you're on a Windows computer, try downloading Quicktime 7.

QuickTime 7.6 for Windows

The Quicktime Player has a potential vulnerability, so you can browse into the Program Files folder after you install it and change QuicktimePlayer.exe to QuicktimePlayer.old to disable it. But you may well need the other Quicktime components.

That is assuming that your iPhone video files are MOV files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

Thanks for getting back to me.

I am using a windows computer but I'm not too familiar with quicktime nor how to do edit the files in that way.

In addition I'm worried about needing to do this to every corrupted file I have given that I'm working with Hundreds of clips each week...

Can you think of any reason why Premiere elements isn't able to deal with my IPhone videos? I mean Windows Movie Maker 2011 (what I had before this) could do it fine and it is free and quite old. Thats why I'm thinking I'm doing something wrong!

Thanks so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FOLLOW UP!

I think this may have worked! After downloading quicktime the file not imports without an issue!

That was probably what you meant from the beginning and now I feel kinda stupid!

Thanks so much for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 06, 2017 Aug 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Please mark this question as correctly answered, Sam.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines