• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Save as" doesn't save a new project. What am I missing?

Community Beginner ,
Dec 23, 2020 Dec 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New to video, but long time user of photoshop. In photoshop, you open an existing PSD file (PSD1) make any change you want and save as a new PSD file (PSD2). These two files (1 and 2) are totally diferent projects. You open 1 and you see 1, open 2 and you see 2. I thought Premiere Elements works the same way, but at least for me it doesn't. I open an existing project (PE1, make changes to it, and save as a new project (PE2. In a diferent folder name, just to be sure. I can export the new project (MP4) and it looks correct. After I close the program and open the new project (PE2) in Premiere Elements, however, I don't see the new project but the original one (PE1), even though the name of the project is PE2. I must be missing something, otherwise what would be the purpose of "Save as"? Thanks for your help. 🙂

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Dec 23, 2020 Dec 23, 2020

In 16 years on this forum, I've never heard of this. But maybe I'm misunderstanding.

Are you saying:

1) You edit video and save it as Project 1. Then do a Save As and save it as Project 2.

2) You edit Project 2 so that it looks nothing like Project 1 and then save it.

3) You  close the program, then re-open it and Project 2. But Project 2 looks like Project 1 with none of the changes you've made to it?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Dec 23, 2020 Dec 23, 2020

Hello, so that it can be helpful for other people with the same issue, I believe my problem was related to long file path and long file name. After I shortened both, the issue was resolved.

So, instead of (an example): C:\Users\UserName\Documents\MyVideos\VideoProjects\VideoClip\CoolVideo1\MyVeryLongVideoNameThatWoudntSave.prel

I did this: C:\Users\UserName\Documents\MyVideos\MyShortVideoName.prel

If the problem reappears, I will try to update the solution. Thanks, 😊

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In 16 years on this forum, I've never heard of this. But maybe I'm misunderstanding.

Are you saying:

1) You edit video and save it as Project 1. Then do a Save As and save it as Project 2.

2) You edit Project 2 so that it looks nothing like Project 1 and then save it.

3) You  close the program, then re-open it and Project 2. But Project 2 looks like Project 1 with none of the changes you've made to it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, except that in a few bullet points you described what it took me a manifesto. haha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello, so that it can be helpful for other people with the same issue, I believe my problem was related to long file path and long file name. After I shortened both, the issue was resolved.

So, instead of (an example): C:\Users\UserName\Documents\MyVideos\VideoProjects\VideoClip\CoolVideo1\MyVeryLongVideoNameThatWoudntSave.prel

I did this: C:\Users\UserName\Documents\MyVideos\MyShortVideoName.prel

If the problem reappears, I will try to update the solution. Thanks, 😊

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines