• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Recording from VHS (sound/picture issue)

New Here ,
Jan 06, 2019 Jan 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I dusted off a very old desktop PC with Premiere Elements 3.0 for the purpose of capturing some old VHS tapes. I know, ancient stuff, but it should work for this, right?

By using a SCART adapter I am able to capture the VHS image through the composite input on the PC (s-vhs turned out in B/W)

So far so good. I am also able to transfer sound to the PC (using 2x phono to AUX) which in turn I can play through PC speakers.

The issue now is how to capture the sound in Premiere Elements. Preferably simultaneously with the picture The picture and sound must be fetched from two different channels if you know what I mean...

I can't find any menu item for this. Am I missing something?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you mean you're getting sound from two different sources and you plan to add them to your video in Premiere Elements, that's pretty simple.

But if you have two audio tracks on your video and you're trying to read them both in Premiere Elements, that won't work.

You also don't say if you're planning to edit the video you've captured in version 3.0 but, if so, that has its own challenges.

You'd be wiser to simplify the process using a digitizer like this -- though if you do you should plan on doing your editing on a more recent (post version 12) version of Premiere Elements, since many necessary features were unavailable or didn't exist when version 3 was created 13-14 years ago.

https://www.amazon.com/August-VGB100-External-Composite-Transfer/dp/B008F0SARC/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qi...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for answering, Steve!

Not planning on any editing. Just straightforward copying from VHS.

Yes, I'm familiar with such capture cards (I tried to use a Pinnacle BlackBOX but the PC wouldn't recognize it as it needs an additional internal PCI card which I don't have), besides I'm just borrowing the VCR for a few days...

Anyways, as I said, I'm able to get both sound and picture off the VCR now. The picture goes through the composite input and is seen in the capture/recording window in Premiere. The sound is going through the computers own soundcard, but it is not caught by Premiere. I can listen to the sound through the computer speakers though as the video rolls in the capture window.

When dragging the clip to the timeline there is no sound "attached" to the clip. I bet there is a way to capture the sound but I haven't figured it out yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As it turns out I also have an old Windows Movie Maker on the same computer which captures both image and sound! Transferring media as we speak, but still, it would be nice to find a way to do this also in Prem Elements...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is not something Premiere Elements does well. Better to use a program like the free download WinDV.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines