• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Rotate and crop/scale

Explorer ,
Jun 06, 2018 Jun 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I rotate a clip to straighten it, it then requires either cropping or scaling to get rid of the black triangles and fill the screen. Is there any way this can be done automatically as is the case in Photoshop with photos?

Also, which is best to use to minimise loss of quality - crop or scale?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 06, 2018 Jun 06, 2018

sydhsydh  wrote

Is there any way this can be done automatically as is the case in Photoshop with photos?

No.

sydhsydh  wrote

which is best to use to minimise loss of quality - crop or scale?

Cropping will give you black all around  (if you don't use a background or don't scale it up) and won't affect quality.

Scaling will affect quality, but if you don't go above 105% or so, it won't be noticeable.  The best thing to do is try it and see the results for yourself.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sydhsydh  wrote

Is there any way this can be done automatically as is the case in Photoshop with photos?

No.

sydhsydh  wrote

which is best to use to minimise loss of quality - crop or scale?

Cropping will give you black all around  (if you don't use a background or don't scale it up) and won't affect quality.

Scaling will affect quality, but if you don't go above 105% or so, it won't be noticeable.  The best thing to do is try it and see the results for yourself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Bob. I have been using scaling which seems acceptable. A 2 degree rotation seems to require 110% scale but until I finish the edit (and this is a 3 hour project) I will not see it on a big screen. Fingers crossed. Luckily most clips that require rotating are less than 1 degree with 105% scaling. I don't normally have a problem but this project had a lot of handheld clips and there are many horizons and buildings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 07, 2018 Jun 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're welcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines