• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Rotating then cropping

Explorer ,
May 21, 2018 May 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Running Premiere Elements 15 on a Windows 10 computer. One of my clips had to be rotated a few degrees. Then I wanted to crop it so that the cropped area on the screen matched a first clip that I had cropped without rotation. For that first clip, there is an area in the frame with content that is surrounded by black. The issue is that for the rotated clip the crop controls are themselves rotated, so what I end up with is a rotated area with the corrected content surrounded by black, which doesn't match what I have for the first clip.

Is there a way to rotate a clip and then do something such that if I crop afterward the crop controls are horizontal and vertical? I tried scaling after rotating but that didn't help. For example, in Photoshop if you rotate an image and then follow with a crop, the crop controls themselves are not rotated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , May 22, 2018 May 22, 2018

You could probably accomplish this with the garbage matte feature, anywhere from 4 point and up.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
May 21, 2018 May 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to clarify - I can understand if I crop first and then rotate, the cropped area will be rotated. But I don't want that to happen if I rotate first and then crop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 22, 2018 May 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could probably accomplish this with the garbage matte feature, anywhere from 4 point and up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 22, 2018 May 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I didn't know about that feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 26, 2018 May 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Re. the garbage matte feature, is there a way to constrain the sides to be horizontal and vertical (holding down Shift, Ctrl or Alt didn't seem to work)? I'm finding it's not easy to end up with edges to the video that aren't jagged. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 28, 2018 May 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm not sure about a way to constrain the edges, maybe someone else can chime in on that. If the perimeter edges are jagged, you could try slightly increasing the magnification until they are off the viewing area.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines