• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Selecting a clip to move

Explorer ,
May 19, 2020 May 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 5 clips placed on separate tracks above each other in the workspace in Premiere Elements 2020.

I can select or highlight one of the clips in the workspace but when I click on the image in the viewer above, a different clip becomes highlighted in both the workspace and the viewer (i.e., the 4 boxes appear on the corner of tge clip in the viewer).  Apparently this is the clip that is "on top" in the viewer but not the one I want to work with.  The clip I originally selected to work with below loses focus (i.e., is no longer highlighted).

How can I make sure that the clip I highlight in the workspace below will be the one I work with in the viewer?  In my case I want to manually move the image in the viewer, something that is easy to do if I could only select it.  

How can you select in the workspace the clip that will be active in the viewer?

TOPICS
Tips and tricks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 19, 2020 May 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Click on the camera button on the track header on the left side of the timeline to temporarily disable a track.

Otherwise, there's no way to see something on a lower track if  something on an upper track is covering it up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 20, 2020 May 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Steve.  I can see the  clip,  I just can't select it.  There is some kind of "layering" going on because when I have the clip selected in the workspace and go up to move it in the viewer, I select a different clip,  i.e., the clip that is active in the viewer is not the clip I originally selected in the workspace below.  I need a command like Photoshop's "bring to front" to ensure that the clip that is active in the viewer is the same one that was selected in the workspace below.

You would think that the highlighted clip in the workspace would automatically be the one active in the viewer but that's not the case for me.   It's very frustrating.  I highlight the clip I want to work with in the workspace and then when I click in the viewer, a "top layer" clip is selected (highlighted) instead.  I have to move that clip off to the side in order to get to the one I want to work with that is underneath.  

How can I ensure that the clip I'm going to touch in the viewer will be the same one that I curently have selected in the workspace below?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe I'm not understanding what you're saying, David. When you have several tracks of video, you can select in the Monitor panel whichever you can see.

Can you post a screen capture of what you're talking about?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Where is the CTI when you select the clip?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines