Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Severe editing lag & hours-long export time

New Here ,
Feb 21, 2019 Feb 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey!

I've been using Premiere Elements 14 for a couple years and I've never had this problem for more than an hour. It's been 3 days and I can't get Premiere Elements to stop a severe lag in editing as well as huge export times. It's said anywhere from 3 days to 18 hours to 2 hours for small files.

I'm going a little nuts because I work from home & using Elements is a big part of my job! Help so appreciated.

I have updated Windows, my GeForce driver, and just upgraded to Premiere Elements 15 as well.

Not quite sure what I should be putting here to help but here are some specs:

Intel{R] Core [TM} i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz

Installed RAM: 16.0 GB

System type 64-bit os

Windows 10

Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 21, 2019 Feb 21, 2019

26 GB is low.   If you are down that low it is probably chopped up in fragments. 

I don't know if there is a minimum.  It might depend on the project.  By current standards a 500 GB drive is small and a 1 TB drive is "normal". 

It would appear you need to free up some space!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How much free, clean, freshly defragmented space is on your C drive?

What model of camcorder is your video coming from and what is its format and resolution?

When you add this video to your timeline, do you see a yellow orange "render" line above it? This would be an indicator that your project settings do not match your video specs, which can very much affect your performance.

RenderLine.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Steve!

1) Free, freshly defragged space on C drive is 26.3GB

2) camcorder is a DSLR. Nikon D5300,  format H.264. resolution 1920 x 1080

3) no orange render line

thank you for your help in this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

26 GB is low.   If you are down that low it is probably chopped up in fragments. 

I don't know if there is a minimum.  It might depend on the project.  By current standards a 500 GB drive is small and a 1 TB drive is "normal". 

It would appear you need to free up some space!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. Of you can open at at least 50-70 gigs of defragmented space on your C drive, you'll see a noticeable improvement in your performance.

Any time my free space drops below 100 g, I panic!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey whsprague & Steve,

A friend of mine has solved the exporting issue. I was only working with files that I'd shot in the past week that had been run through an audio software sync tool I use (for syncing my vid up to an external mic) called Plural Eyes. Once I started trying to export files that were older as well as the raw files i had that weren't run thru Plural Eyes, everything started exporting very fast! Somehow those 20+ files got corrupted during sequencing, still not sure how but at least I can export quickly again.

In regards to the 2nd issue of major lag, I took both of your advice & after going to Storage Usage I discovered that I had a previous Windows installation taking up 30 gb! And then I purged a bit more with the help of WinDirStat. Seems to be working properly now.

Thank you for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 22, 2019 Feb 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sounds like you've resolved the issue, Danica. Great news!

Please mark this question as correctly answered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines