Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Still image storage defaults and movement to different folders

New Here ,
Feb 28, 2020 Feb 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have two questions as a relative beginner with PE 2020:

1) Thus far, my still images are stored on my desktop by default and I have to move them later. How do I change the default storage folder?

2) If I use the image in a movie before I move it to its permanent folder, it appears I lose the image in the movie. Is that so, and does that mean I never can change the location of image storage without losing the still in my movie?

TOPICS
Tips and tricks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 29, 2020 Feb 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. You don't say which operating system you're using but, yes, you can change the location for your operating system's Movie, Documents, Pictures, etc., directories.

2. I wouldn't recommend moving your files around when you've got a work in progress linking to them. There are ways to reconnect the files to your project, but if you've got a lot of picture and video files in a lot of different places, it can be a lot of work. Better to have your media files in a permanent spot before you start building projects with them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2020 Mar 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve, Thank you for your response. I apologize for not seeing this until now. In the meantime I have discovered what you say is true and have now gone through the process to repair my projects. It was a lot of work so I've learned that lesson...

However I am still confused by how all those files I had to move off my desktop got there in the first place! Since I repaired the projects, I am no longer finding any new stills or files on my desktop. However, the following folders were created there at the time (I know not how) and I do not know what to do with them:

- Encoded Files

- APE Video Previews

- APE Audio Previews

- APE Captured Videos

- APE Captured Audios

- APE Autosave

They appear to be related to my projects, and I don't dare trash them. But I don't use them to access my repaired projects, and nothing new is saved there. Can anybody help me understand these files and what to do with them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I forgot to add that I am using Windows 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The folders you've listed are created automatically by Premiere Elements when and where you create a Premiere Elements project file.

While they are non-essential, some include preview files and other support files that the program will automatically recreate if and when you move your project (.prel) file(s).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've written about this before!  There is an alternate "workflow" that may help.  Before you start a new project create a folder on your primary drive dedicated to and named to match the new project.  Put copies of the media you are using in that folder and, in Preferences set all of the "scratch disk" locations to same as project.   The folder may get big!  But, you can move the entire folder, project and all it's parts to any storage location.  You can move it back to the primary drive if you wish to work on it again.    

One bonus is that, if your primary drive is an SSD, there will be improvements to speed.  Another bonus is that it makes backup strategies with external drives easier. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks to both Steve and whsprague for the fast responses.  Yes I can see the benefits of creating a new folder for each project when it is begun. My primary drive is a 1TB SSD drive, and I have two backup drives (one internal and one external at 1TB each), so I have plenty of backup storage.  It sounds like I just have to figure out how best to organize my files. As far as the listed ones currently on my desktop, can I assume it's safe at this point to scrap them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines