• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

This type of file is not supported, or the required codec is not installed

New Here ,
Mar 21, 2018 Mar 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get this error message, This type of file is not supported, or the required codec is not installed, when trying to import a .mov file created from a DJI Phantom 4 Pro drone in Adobe PE10.   The .mov files plays fine in windows media player on Windows 7.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 21, 2018 Mar 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First guess is that you don't have QuickTime installed.  MOV files are an Apple format.  Premiere Elements 10 required Quicktime to be installed so that it could "borrow" the codecs.

Install Quicktime!

FWIW, Premiere Elements 10 is 6 versions old!  You have a new drone and, probably, a newer operating system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2018 Mar 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I have quicktime installed.  V. 7.7.9, its the latest version for Win7 at least.

I've tried playing the .mov file with quicktime and get this error: Error -2002: a bad public movie atom was found in the movie.

Do you think it has something to do with the .mov file coming from a 4k camera?

You're right, PE 10 is old school.   I downloaded Adobe PE18 last night, I'll install it and see what happens. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 22, 2018 Mar 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

4K is not an issue with the current 2018 and last couple of versions.

The .MOV video container has lots of variations.   One of them is the codec H.265.  I've read that the DJI Phantom 4 Pro can be set to use H.265 instead of the more common H.264. 

H.265 is still uncommon on cameras.  No version of Premiere Elements can edit H.265 video.  Premiere Pro CC can.

If your clips are with H.265, I've read they can be converted to H.264 with (the free) Handbrake program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2018 Mar 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help.   I installed the latest version of Adobe PE and that fixed my problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 17, 2018 Sep 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone,

I am having the same issue. I just purchased a new Windows 10 PC and reinstalled Adobe Premier Elements from my previous laptop. When I try to open the original .prel file (saved in a cloud) I get the same error message, even though I can still open the file on my previous laptop.

Any ideas?

Many thanks

Gemma

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 17, 2018 Sep 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Please don't double-post your question, Gemma. It makes it very difficult to follow a conversation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines