Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Tips for keeping Elements 2020 fast while editing long movies

New Here ,
Jan 04, 2020 Jan 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm making/editing a holiday-movie and at the moment i have imported around 191 4k-clips. The runtime is around 12 minutes now. I still have around 3 weeks moviematerial to select and to add to the movie so the final movie will be around 30-40 minutes. Even though my computer is new and my playback quality is low, i was wondering if you guys have any tips for me to keep everything working fast. I experience some delay when i playback sometimes (not all the time) now. I just want to make sure my computer won't crash and i lose all the edited material (i've experienced that before on my old computer and working in GoPro Studio...) And yes, i save regularly! Is rendering all the material now and than a solution to keep everything fast and solid? Or maybe make 4 different project and connect them in the before making the final movie (if that's possible)?

Thanks in advance!

TOPICS
Crash , Performance , Tips and tricks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you on MAC or a Windows PC?

Do you have one or more SSDs in your system or just a harddisk?  I have an SSD for the OS (WIN7) and another for my working directories with just a hard disk for archiving.  Since adding the second SSD for my working directories the previewing has been smooth whilst beforehand it was often very jerky. This is understandable since PE has to work through the "pointers" in the project to the actual video clips & with an SSD latency is not an issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Hotelechomike,

It's a Windows PC (Windows 10). It has one SSD as far as i know. My type computer is the HP Pavilion G 15-dk0979nd. Am i correct? I do have a seperate (external harddisk drive, a Seagate 1 TB), is this what you mean? Do you mean i have to save the project (and all the clips) to the external harddisk drive?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly the opposite - they should all be on an SSD as that is much faster.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uhm sorry maybe i don't understand, but at the moment all the clips are saved on my laptopdrive. I'm saving the project also on my laptop. I don't use the external harddisk atm.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which brings us to the question: is your internal drive an SSD?  It wasn't clear from your previous posts that you were using a laptop rather than a desktop PC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My internal drive is an SSD yes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK - SSD is good.

According to this chart comparing high-end CPUs you have plenty of CPU power for working with 4k videos:

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

What I do as at regular intervals is to save the project with a different name (mainly because if I destroy something I can easily go back).  E.g.  Vacation-a, Vacation-b & so on.

I keep all files (video clips, photos, audior, project files) for a particular project in a single directory / subdirectories.

When I've finished a project I remove all project files up to the last-but-one, delete the PE working directories and archive the entire directory structure to my hard drive / archive disks.  If for some reason I need to re-work a project I can bring the whole structure back to my SSD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2020 Jan 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for your response. I do give the project a new filename once in a while, but i still experience Elements is becoming slower and i even have problems inserting new clips at the moment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines