• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Trimmed and deleted video segments reappearing?

Explorer ,
Dec 22, 2018 Dec 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not quite sure how to describe this.

I've been working on a video that is a little over 5 minutes long for several hours now and placed the finishing touches on it, only to find out that the last section of the video has somehow brought back a segment of a clip that I had trimmed and deleted...

For some strange reason it only popped in when I put the "dip to white" transition between the two clips. Now I thought maybe somehow the trimming added an extra frame so I deleted the one clip and re-added, trimmed and added the transition again... and it caused the deleted segment to show up again. I even tried swapping the problem clip around with another clip that didn't have a problem, only to have the other clip do the exact same thing! The deleted segment appears to be the same expanded size as my last clip of the video, but it's not even part of that last clip...

I'm stumped as to why it's doing this... It does it with the dip to black transition too but not with a fade in/out on the clips

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 23, 2018 Dec 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The source footage are these all separate clips or one long clip cut up in smaller chuncks

If you are seeing adjacent footage then it means you did not trim the clip back enough.

Transitions need handles.

If this is not the case trash your preview files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first clip is from one source, the 2nd and 3rd are from one source broken up, 4th is from a separate source, and 5th is from a separate source.

However, I think of may have figured out the problem... I have an effect on from the Hollywood presets and didn't know that the effect blend with original would cause that... so now got to figure out how to keep it from doing that because I liked the look of that effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure I can add much, but with video editing you are not really cutting, trimming and deleting.  Instead you are setting markers in preview/project files.  Adding your Hollywood presets may be "grabbing" the clips a little differently than where you set the markers. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 24, 2018 Dec 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, I think Ann called it.

When you add a transition, you create a transitional segment in which both your incoming and outgoing clips are on screen at the same time. This transitional segment goes a bit beyond your clips' in and out point. So, unless you have a half a second or so of extra footage beyond your clip's in and out points, a transition will reveal video that you've trimmed off.

My tutorial may explain it better.

How transitions work in Premiere Elements - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve,

You put that video up today!  Don't forget to take a little time off during the holiday season!

I watched it and have to say I learned how much I didn't know!

Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So my question is going to be in this case, if I trim a video say about midway how do I keep it from grabbing too far at the end of the one clip and too far at the beginning of the other clip. I saw that Ann mentioned about trashing the preview files.

I guess I need to find another way to do a transition as some of the clips I have need to start at a specific point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The length of the transition and its placement between the clips will determine how many frames for handles is required.

A 30 second transition centered between two clips will need 15 seconds of handles for each clip. At 30 fps, that would be 450 frames.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines