Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to import media .mov HEVC in Premiere Elements 2020

Community Beginner ,
Oct 09, 2019 Oct 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I use an iphone X to shoot video in 4K at 60FPS.  I have windows 10 all patched up with the HEVC and HEIF add ons and I'm having a strage issue when I try to import media into premiere elements 2020.  It gives me an 'unable to import media error' that says "Your system needs to be configured to import HEVC or HEIF type of media.  Click on 'learn more' to know how to enable these formats for import.  And of course I do that and it takes me to a 404 error on the adobe site.

The weird thing is it does import most of the videos but not all and I can't figure out why.  I'm not importing direct form the phone.  I have the files on a local drive.  The extensions are all .mov and it is able to import other .mov files...  maybe 150 out of 200.  I reset the add ons and tried to update everything but can't figure out what's going on.  Any ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have a camera that shoot H.265 footage so I borrowed a clip to try the new HEVC capability.  I updated my computer with the $.99 codec from Microsoft.   I get similar results including the 404 error whenI click on "Learn More".   

I've not figured it out yet.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well the 404 error is fixed but it basically tells you to down load the extensions and clear the cache. I tried that and it did not help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 26, 2019 Oct 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello clgreene

Did you fix your HEVC problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can one of you drop some iPhone HEVC into a public Dropbox folder so I can give it a test drive? I'm not having problems with H.265 footage I've created with another software package.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve,

In another topic a user shared some iPhone H.265 footage via dropbox.  I copied it to my machine and it worked fine.  What ever was wrong with my set up a few days ago seems to have fixed itself.  I also discoverd I have a Samsung Android phone that (optionally) will shoot H.265.  I've got some things to try! 

(H.265 doesn't seem to be of much benefit.  Files size might be smaller, but I don't see much else.)  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Bill. But I wonder what that means for people who can't get it to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2019 Oct 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I finally did get it to work.  I had previously had the 3rd party free manufacturers HEVC extension installed.  Then I added the .99 cent one before I installed premier 2020 for the first time because I had read that you needed it.

Then as suggested on adobe's updated page, if you have two installed that's no good.  You need to only have one installed.  I uninstalled both HEVC codecs rebooted, added the 99 cent one and deleted (or renamed) the media cache folder.  Then it worked.

But not without causing other issues.  Some of my previously imported videos that worked fine in the movies I was working on no longer show in previews.  I guess I'll just need to reimport those.  Seems like the problem is solved.  Don't have more than one microsoft HEVC extension installed!  Reimport stuff you imported with the other extension.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 29, 2019 Oct 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My issue persists even after following the steps you mentioned here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elements/using/hevc-decoding-on-windows.html

I've uninstalled/reinstalled all codecs making sure there is only 1, and Ps/Pr elements . The same action worked fine for my other windows machine 

I've also checked folder permissions on the codec install folder at 

C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.HEVCVideoExtensions_1.0.22763.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe

I'll keep digging

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 24, 2019 Dec 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I have also problems with HEVC video's. 

I already have installed the HEVC codec on my computer, but it still don't work.

Have you found a solution for this problem?

thx already!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 13, 2021 Sep 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. I have the same issue just started this month. I just started using 4k camera last month with no issues then it's started this week. Tried everything that multiple people have said on threads here but still nothing. The only thing left is to try and uninstall and reinstall premier elements as that has worked for some people I'll let you know tonight how it goes. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 27, 2019 Oct 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I wonder what that means for people who can't get it to work."

I'm wondering if it is the Microsoft procedure of installing the $.99 HEVC codec.  When I find a way to verify it actually installs, it may help.   Although it should be relatively simple, it might not be.  First you have to find the right one, then figure out how to pay a corporate behemith $.99, then get it on your computer, install it and finally get PrE to "see" it.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 28, 2020 Feb 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

We're sorry for the experience you've had. We have been actively working on finding a solution to this issue. We have identified that this is happening because of the permissions provided to the HEVC video extension.

Check out this article to fix it: https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-elements/faq-what-should-i-do-if-premiere-elements-2020-fail...

Let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Shivangi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2021 Jan 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have spent over an hour looking at solutions and even trying to download Mircosoft's HEVC Extension.  This is WAY TOO COMPLICATED (and I'm an engineer).  I would rather buy a new copy of Elements and have HEVC built into it rather than this patch.  I understand the need for patches for old versions when a new video or photo compression comes out, but shame on Adobe for not incorporating the new HEVD and HEIF in the latest Photoshop/Elements .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 17, 2022 Sep 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's 2022, and I bought your software specifically for a birthday project, and now I can't import 10 videos shot with apparently more recent iphones. This is insane. I'll be returning the product!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2023 Mar 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've tried all of the suggestions listed by Adobe and it is not working. I've installed the paid Microsoft hevc extension. I've changed the permissions to 'everyone' as outlined in the Adobe video, I've cleared the cache, uninstalled the hevc extension, reinstalled it, uninstalled and reinstalled Premiere Elements 2023 and still getting the same error: Your system needs to be configured to import hevc files. This thread was created 3.5 years ago so I hope there is a fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 31, 2021 Jan 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I would rather buy a new copy of Elements and have HEVC built into it rather than this patch. "

It is not a patch.  It is getting a video codec and about paying for the license to use it.   Lawyers, copyrights and money are involved.  I'm a user too.  I don't work there.   It is fun to read about the development of HEVC (a.k.a. H.265).  It should have replaced H.264 a few years ago.  But it is tangled in a development consortium the messed up the marketing and distribution to where it remains a niche rather than mainstream product. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 01, 2021 Feb 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My point is that iPhone files need it in their "best" mode and they have a large following in the marketplace, hence Adobe should license the technology .  I've worked in standards bodies (IEEE and others) and I know it can take time, but if a standards body is working on it, then a reasonable license fee is available.  Just reading the comments in this thread, it is clear people would rather have it incorporated in the product then hassle with the 99 cent extension.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines