• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to play Premiere Elements 11 videos copied from Windows 7 computer to Windows 10 computer

New Here ,
Nov 10, 2019 Nov 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I purchased a new Windows 10 computer and installed Premiere Elements 11 on it. On my old Windows 7 computer I opened a finished Premiere Elements 11 project, opened the Project Archiever menu, selected the Copy Project option and copied the project to a flash drive.  On the new computer I opened the Video Editor in Premiere Elements 11, selected Existing Project and opened the copied project from the flash drive.  The video successfully played on the Windows 10 using the video on the external hard drive.  Using the Save As option, I saved the project to my computer and closed the program and removed the flash drive.  When I reopened the Premiere Elements 11 program and selected the saved project it opened on the timeline with the file names of the individual pictures and video clips in the video, but the actual pictures and video clips were missing.  When I tried to open the saved project I received this error message "This type of file is not supported, or the required codec is not installed."

Any suggestions how to fix my problem?

TOPICS
Error or problem , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 11, 2019 Nov 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Premiere Elements, like all video editors, do not "contain" the video files.  They only "reference" them.  In otherwords, the source video files have to remain with the project and the project needs to know where they are.     Doing a Save As only saves the project, it does not save the source files.  

If I understand it right, you used the archive procedure to move the project and source files to an external drive.  Then you only moved the project.  You might try using the same archive procedure to move the project and source files to the new computer.   

The last time I changed computers I moved files in a more manual way.  Using Explorer I moved files from the old computer to the new computer in the exact same folder and file structure.   That way the software didn't know anything had changed.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines