Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unworkable Performance MacBook Pro

New Here ,
Jan 04, 2018 Jan 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I have a Macbook Pro 15 inch 2016 with 2.7 i7, 16 GB Ram and Radeon Pro 460 4 GB and purchased the bundled photoshop/premiere elements 2018 (current updates applied).

I got a go pro Hero 6 for and discovered the high quality high frame rate footage saves in Hevc which is not compatible with premiere elements. Disappointing about that but moved on. Even using the other resolution available, I am unable to successfully edit as there is lag with everything I do (adding traditions, effects, adjusting time mapping and even scrubbing through the time line). I have search for answers to why this is happening, is there a setting I have on that should be off. Pretty annoying this new piece of software doesn't really work on my expensive laptop. I do understand file sizes are large and some performance issue could arise under heavy load, this this machine and software works about as well as my old MacBook Pro 17 inch 2009 using Premiere Pro CS5. I have downloaded Final Cut Pro X and things are running great. And pretty relieved my lap top is up to the job of editing high def footage of my go pro, albeit no on premiere elements.

Any comments or questions welcomed.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't edit the H.265 codec with Premiere Elements. It's just not designed to do it.

Are you able to save your video as H.264 mp4? Premiere Elements will be able to edit even 4K using this more standard codec.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I understand about the Hevc file type and not supported, but the go pro can shoot in H.264 and it is these files I am struggling to edit due to the lag in Premiere Elements. Even short files of 300-400 Mb won't scrub through smoothly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is not normal.  My machine is less than yours and I have no trouble. 

There are some usual culprits for slow behavior.

1-Project settings don't match footage.  How did you set it up?  What are the settings of the project and the camera?

2-Lack of space for the "scratch disk" files.  How much spare room on your drive do you have?

3-There is a hardware acceleration option box in the Edit>Preferences>General page.  Change from what it is to the other choice.

4-There is software running in the background that leaves less RAM for Premiere Elements.  Virus software maybe?

Regarding the HEVC/H.265....  This is consumer software.  I know of three consumer cameras that can use it and one of those was discontinued by Samsung.  So, it is far from universal and (based on what I read) far from universal adoption until licensing can be sorted out.   As comparisons go, FCP at $300, should be compared to Premiere Pro, not $70 Premiere Elements.

I'm sorry you are annoyed.  Really!  As a public forum this will be read by others.  They should know that you can download and test Premiere Elements for free.  If you buy it from Adobe you can get your money back up to 30 days.  Adobe lists the specifications publicly and never claims support for HEVC/H.265.

Based on "best seller" lists, Premiere Elements continues a high ranking because it does work and work well.

Good luck getting this to work and getting on to enjoying video production!

Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI Bill,

Thanks for the reply.

I just dropped the footage in the timeline and assumed the "dynamic" feature would create the appropriate format, but having said that I have also used other footage from the GoPro that varies in resolution and frames e.g. 1440 60FSP, 1080 30FPS etc which might account for the performance. I recored a few clips and imported them into a new project and things are working much better in terms of scrubbing and performing effects etc. . I should read a little more about the settings needed for certain types of footage and different res/FPS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Start a project with "primary" footage to set up the project.  Mixing footage, especially with different frame rates, will create issues. 

What should happen is that a yellow line will show up above the unmatched footage and your can "render" smoother previews.  But it may not be perfect.  The real test is the final output.  Everything is rendered again to fit output settings.  Those should match primary footage as close as possible.

Good luck with your projects!

Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 05, 2018 Jan 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most of my editing and work I do on my videos for my YouTube Channel I use my iMac, but for the 'road' I usually use exactly the same MacBook Pro as you. I get different video formats; sometimes from subscribers and sometimes from my own resources. What I have found that helps is to edit, render and export each of the different formats into a .mp4 and then bring them all back in together under the common exported .mp4. If I then have to re-edit and 'splice' different clips, inter-mixing what were originally different video sources, things run smoothly and both the process and results are better. The videos run an average of 20 minutes.

Kindest regards,

(a different...) Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 05, 2018 Jan 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Bill,

Clever!  I would not have thought about that as a way to combine variable footage!  Thanks.

What is your YouTube channel?

(the other) Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines