Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Up To Date Motion Tracking Tutorial For Premiere Elements 15

Explorer ,
Aug 27, 2017 Aug 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Could someone please link to an up to date tutorial for motion tracking in Premiere Elements 15?

All the tutorials and help files I can find reference items in the interface that no longer exist or have been moved somewhere.   As example, see this page...

Adobe Premiere Elements Help | Apply motion tracking in video clips

It references the Action Bar, without explaining what or where the action bar is.   Once I figure out where the Action Bar is, I see there is no Graphics button there as referenced in the help file.   Game over.

A Google search brings up lots of stuff, but it all seems to be for older versions.

Many thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 27, 2017 Aug 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I show you how to do it in version 15 in my course on lynda.com.

Following people in your video with Motion Tracker

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 28, 2017 Aug 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tip Steve.  I am aware that you sell Premiere instruction, and from what I've seen in the free samples, it looks like you do a good job of it.  So kudos for that, and of course I wish you the best of luck in your business.

However, if it turns out that I have to buy instruction from you to get this working to me that equals Adobe failing to do it's job.  I'd rather not come to that conclusion just yet.   To me, I already paid Adobe, so it's their job to either design the interface so that not much instruction is required, or provide the needed instruction.

I just spent an hour trying to create the simplest tracking test, and it failed every time.  Again, the interface references items that simply don't exist in PE 15, which confuses the process considerably.  It says, grab your graphic from the Action Bar, but there is nothing in action bar except redo, undo, and organizer.  The video tutorial you link to does the same thing except worse, so I expect it was made using an earlier version of PE.

Sometimes dragging from organizer works, sometimes not.  When it does work, image is wrong size (understandable) and can't be resized (not acceptable).

Yesterday I was able to get it to work once.  The tracking was really sloppy.  However, it did automate the process of creating a bunch of keyframes, and that was indeed helpful.  Once I went in to the timeline and edited every third keyframe or so, the end product turned out acceptably well.

Verdict:  Tracking is a very cool and promising feature, which is not currently implemented or explained very well.  I can see they've made a good faith effort to make it intuitive, but they're definitely not there yet.   They should test this stuff on newbies before they release it, and they would immediately see the problem.

BTW, I've been designing software for 20 years.  I'm not just pulling these opinions out of my you know where.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use a lot of tutorials when I do everything from tuning up my car to installing shelves in my bathroom to doing special effects in After Effects. But I've never thought to blame the producers of the product for failing me because of that.

But it's an interesting opinion nonetheless.

And for the record, that's lynda.com selling my course. Not me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again Steve,

Well, what is the job of a software developer if not to make digital tools as easily accessible as possible?  The fact that you can operate a business providing instruction on how to use Adobe products illustrates that to at least some degree Adobe has failed to achieve that goal. 

But luckily I have a solution.  🙂  Adobe should hire you to provide your quality instruction to their users.  They should be paying you for the service you are providing to their users.   You're clearly qualified, the need is clearly there, and it's their responsibility.  They are the ones who accepted our money, right?  You know, how come Adobe employees aren't answering my questions in these threads?  Where are they?

A pro level product like Premiere Pro faces a lower bar design-wise because it's intended user base are presumably experienced video editors.  So, you know, in such a case the vendor shouldn't be expected to explain concepts like "what is a timeline".

A consumer level product like Premiere Elements has a lower burden in terms of features, but a higher burden in terms of ease of use, given that it's aimed at the general hobbyist public, many of whom may be editing video for the first time.

All that said, it's certainly true there's quite a bit I like about PE + PE, and I'm happy I purchased them both.  Premiere Elements in particular is definitely an upgrade from what I was using previously, at a very reasonable price.  I could and should be saying this more often than I do.

Also, to be fair, I'm probably trying to do a bit more with Premiere Elements than was intended by the developers.   I'm working on face swapping at the moment which requires quite a bit of precision.  If I was just trying to fly one video generally across the top of another video, all would be well.

Finally, designing web software for twenty years trained my mind to be fussy, fussy, fussy about interface issues, and at this point I'm a prisoner of such admittedly extreme obsessions. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually Adobe uses several tutorials from my lynda.com class in its how-to tips and on eLive. But, yeah, if you can convince Adobe, I'm all for them paying me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm very new to this forum, especially compared to you.  Does Adobe participate on their own forum?  I really don't know.

If they are here, please help me identify Adobe employee forum members, and I'll make the case as best I can.  

If they are not here on the forum, that would seem to tell us that Adobe is not too interested in talking with it's customers, so convincing them of anything seems unlikely. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a user to user forum, Felasco. Occasionally one of the techs drops by -- but for the most part they leave it up to use Adobe Community Pros.

You might be able to reach Adobe via chat from here:

contact Help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If they're not here, they don't want to talk with their customers.  That's pretty normal I guess.

Ok, it's their problem, let's leave them to solve it.  You know, if someone can't figure out how to use an Adobe product then there's not much chance they're going to buy more of them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines