• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Updated from Premiere Elements 13 to 2019. Now project won't play.

New Here ,
Dec 10, 2018 Dec 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a project saved in Premiere Elements 13 that works fine.  I updated to 2019 and opened the project.  Now hitting play does nothing.

I tried the Hardware Acceleration thing but it was already set.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would finish the project in 13 and start fresh in 19.

Updating an old project is prone to issues; the gap between 13 and 19 is too great.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ann is right. Premiere Elements is not backwards compatible. If you try to open a version 13 project in version 2019, the project will likely corrupt and become unusable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2018 Dec 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried opening a new 2019 project and adding a video clip.  Still no play.

But I was able to fix my problem.  I turned off Hardware Acceleration and play worked!  Then I toggled it back on and play still worked.

But then I was getting no sound when I hit play.  I found the fix to that on another forum post: I changed my Audio Hardware default input to no input, and that fixed my no output problem!

The project imported from PE 13 now works fine, so I don't think backwards compatibility was the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would not rely on backward compatabilty.  My sense from reading here for a couple years is that you may be successful at opening old projects in new versions of Premiere Elements if the projects are "simple".  If they are free of transitions, effects, etc that change over time, compatability may work.  

The opposite is true too.  If a project has some transitions, effects, etc where the programming code has changed, improved ot dropped, a new version will destroy the project file from an old version. 

It is important to open copies of old projects if you are trying to edit in new versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. Opening a project created in an older version of the program with a newer version of the program often leads to odd behavior and corruption. Sometimes the issues don't show up right away -- but when they do, you'll be unable to open the project in either version.

That's why Bill recommends making a copy of the original project file before you attempt to open it in a newer version of the program. Otherwise all of your work could be lost.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 12, 2018 Dec 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This must be a random issue as I upgraded from PRE11 to 18 and all projects built in the previous version opened and edited fine, with only a few issues. Interestingly, the projects containing a lot of effects and transitions were fine where as those with fewer seemed to lose some of the effects. In the end it was a very smooth upgrade.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

P1965  wrote

This must be a random issue as I upgraded from PRE11 to 18 and all projects built in the previous version opened and edited fine,

It sometimes works, but problems sometimes don't show up show up until  you are nearing the end of a project or trying to export and you have to start all over again. As previously said, it is not recommended.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guess I was really lucky since all previous 11 projects exported fine with version 18 as well.

One thing that was noticed was all text was shifted off center and color slightly off. This is likely the fault of PRE18 as all new text created is defaulted off center and not pure white....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2019 Nov 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much! I have 2019 installed as well and the play button didn't work.  I turned off hardware acceleration and play works 😃  i tried turning it back on though and that broke it again.  but at least it will play now!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines