Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Updating from Premiere Elements 12 - Mac

New Here ,
Apr 26, 2021 Apr 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I bought Premiere Elements and Photoshop Elements in 2013 on my Mac. The current version I have is Premiere Elements 12. I am trying to upgrade to the newest version of Premiere, but when I log into my account and go to my apps there is no option to upgrade. When I search Premier into the account application page, only Premiere Pro and Rush show up, with options to purchase. The only applications visible on my account are Photoshop and Lightroom, which I am paying for a subscription currently.

Can you guys help me out with this please? I called the help line and after 30 minutes of being redirected to different departments I was told to post in the forums for help.

I was given a case number, ADB19139490J6Z1 and I lastly talked with someone named Ayesha.

Thank you!

TOPICS
Error or problem , FAQ

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 29, 2021 Apr 29, 2021

"What did I originally pay for, if not the ability to use the software?!"

I can't fix your frustration.  I'm sorry.  But, I think what we pay for with a perpetual licence is for software that works while it is current.  No perpetual license video editing software that I know of gives you a forever guarantee that it will work.  Too many video and computer technologies change.   Adobe has moved most of it's software to subscription and one of the reasons was to solve this.  If you can find a video

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I know, upgrades are not offered for a version that old... you will need to buy completely new

http://www.adobe.com/products/elements-family.html for download only, or to have a disc go to Amazon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2021 Apr 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response!

I am pretty apprehensive of buying software from Adobe if they one day will stop offering updates for something. If there is a record on my account of purchasing Premiere Elements, I am dumbfounded that there is no one at Adobe that can help me access the most recent version! I stopped video editing for a few years, and now that I am back the software doesn't work anymore? What did I originally pay for, if not the ability to use the software?! I already am paying monthly for Photoshop and Lightroom. Does Adobe really not care enough about its longtime customers to help them out?! 

This is not directed at you, John Smith. I am just blown away that such a big company as Adobe does not have an avenue for me to directly communicate with them about this. I was on the phone for 30 minutes only to get directed to the forums?!?! This is some of the worst customer service I have experienced in YEARS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try clicking Buy now here:

https://www.adobe.com/products/premiere-elements/download-trial/try.html

and choose the upgrade dropdown.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried this and it came back to asking if I want a trial version, or to enter a product code.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may be safer to buy direct from Adobe as a download.  If for some reason it does not work out or meet your expectations, there is a 30 day refund period of "non-subscription" products like Premiere Elements.    Retailers selling discs may not accept returns of used software.   

https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/policy-pricing/return-cancel-or-change-order.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the input. Despite what you're saying, I wish I had originally bought a physical version of the software, because then I would potentially be able to STILL USE WHAT I PAID FOR on a different computer. Sorry this is not directed at you Bill. I am extremely disappointed with Adobe, a company I previously revered. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1 - When you buy any program from any company via download you should always copy the download to at least one external device (2 is better) be that a flash drive or external hard drive or write to a CD or DVD

2 - Old 32bit Mac programs will not run on a new 64bit Mac

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IF you registered, Log-in to your Adobe account and click this link https://account.adobe.com/products and see if there is a download link

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 29, 2021 Apr 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"What did I originally pay for, if not the ability to use the software?!"

I can't fix your frustration.  I'm sorry.  But, I think what we pay for with a perpetual licence is for software that works while it is current.  No perpetual license video editing software that I know of gives you a forever guarantee that it will work.  Too many video and computer technologies change.   Adobe has moved most of it's software to subscription and one of the reasons was to solve this.  If you can find a video editor with a fixed, perpetual license, one time price in the $60 to $100 range, buy it and don't look back!

"I was on the phone for 30 minutes only to get directed to the forums?!?! " 

If I understand your posts, what you want is a free upgrade from version 12 to the current version 19.   Could it be that the tech knew he could not offer that and that there was an outside chance someone on a user to user forum might have a work around to make your old version work?  

"I tried this and it came back to asking if I want a trial version, "

Yes.  After you install, try it, determine that it works for you and your computer, then you buy a serial number for the perpetual license.

" I already am paying monthly for Photoshop and Lightroom." 

Try the slide show module.  Import your video clips like they were photos in to Lightroom Classic.  The Slideshow module will let you put together a pretty good MP4 video at 1080p.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2021 Apr 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Bill,

You're too helpful and right on all accounts. Perhaps it was naive of me to hope that I could still update the software I bought in 2013. Tech undeniably changes a lot through the years. Despite all of that, this interaction has left a somewhat sour taste in my mouth. Sure I'll probably just sack up and pay for a monthly subscription of Premiere Pro when I need to use the software, but I promise you that if a competitor ever comes out with a comparable product I will be gone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines