• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using videos on "External Media" without importing them

New Here ,
Oct 15, 2019 Oct 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just grabbed premiere elements 20 since Pinnacle Studio has given me issues for years. So far Premiere has been great, but seems to have one fatal flaw that is making it unusable to me. I run encryption software that acts like a removeable drive. After I "unlock" my encrypted drive it shows up as a drive in windows which gets treated like removeable media. My issue is that I have several Terabytes of clips on this encrypted drive that I need to use in Premiere, but it wont let me use them without importing them first. I DO NOT want to have to copy the files off the encrypted drive to another location just to use them in premiere since this would defeat the purpose of me using encryption. I will always have the encrypted drive running so premiere has access to the files when editing / rendering. Is there anyway I can trick premiere into thinking my encrypted drive is a network drive and not removeable media?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 16, 2019 Oct 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only thing I can say alway leave it 'unlocked'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The encrypted drive is always unlocked (when needing information off of it). The issue is that Premiere sees the encrypted drive as "Removable" and wont let me use the videos on it without the video importer trying to copy the files. I have over 5 tb of media on the encrypted drive and I do NOT want it copied to another location.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are you ingesting.

I double click in the Project Assets to add media.

It opens explorer, navigate to desired folder and import. It does not copy/paste or whatever.

Media is never imported into the program, all it does is making an reference/temp file to the media.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I do project assets, choose add media, browse using explorer and navigate to the file or files, as soon as I click the open button it brings up a dialog saying I am trying to import media from a removeable media and I need to use the "Video Importer" or "Photo Importer". The only options are to open one of the importers or click cancel. 

As a test I copied the file from my encrypted drive to one of my regular network drives and premiere has no problem seeing and using the file that way without running the "Video Importer".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah I see. Have no idea how to set it to none removeble.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2019 Nov 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still hoping there is some type of solution to this. Premiere works better than most other video editing software but without being able to pull from my encrypted drive its nearly useless to me...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2020 Dec 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, this is D-U-M-B.  Apparently they're assuming anything that represents it self as removeable is physically removable.  Hello, McFly, it's 2020, we have mountable logical drives.  Not every "removable" drive is a DVD or Camera.  Sorry I bought this now.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In case you were wondering, 2021 version has the same limitation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, that's what I bought.  BUT - I found a fix that works - depending on the encryption tool you use.  I can't vouch for the side effects yet on the encrypted volume, but I was able to mount the volume as non-removable / fixed.  I never bothered changing that option until now because I had no reason to.  In explorer it's now labled a local disk instead of removable.  PE no longer insist on imporing the video.  Gotta play with it more, but seems promising.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What encryption software are you using. I use cryptainer which doesnt seem to have this option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank You, this seems to do the exact same as the software I'm using, but have more features and be free...Looks like I might have to move 12tb of data for the second time in 2 months... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines