• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

VHS Imported Footage: Is There a Way to Get Rid of Those Blue-Green Ribbons?

New Here ,
Dec 16, 2020 Dec 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm new to Premiere Elements, though not to video editing in general. 

Is there a way to get rid of that blue-green ribbon that you sometimes get on old VHS tapes? (I've imported something using a VHS to PC converter, through PE.)

And also, to fix the bad tracking that may not be fixable by the adjustment on my VHS recorder?

If there are any posts/articles/instructions somewhere, I'd appreciate a link. I'm coming up blank, but it may just be that I don't know what terminology to use to find it.

Thanks!

TOPICS
Error or problem , Import , Tips and tricks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 16, 2020 Dec 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't say how you're digitizing your video and with what device. But if you're capturing over a USB connection, you pretty get what you see. You can do a lot to tune in the picture.

As for that noise you get around the edges of your video frame, they're just artifacts from the pre-digital age. 20 years ago, TVs didn't show those edges. There's not a lot you can do to get rid of them aside from enlarging your video in the frame.

Are those the ribbons you're talking about?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 22, 2020 Dec 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Firstly, thanks for the reply! Always nice to know I'm not yelling into a void. 🙂

I'm using the capture device that came with EASY VHS to DVD (Roxio) because their software was anything BUT easy, but the capture device seems to work just fine. I'm not sure getting a better device would help, this being 20+ year-old VHS tape and all.

No, not the black. I'm old enough to remember the old square frame, so that's nothing suprising. I'm talking about how sometimes, on VHS, you get a blue-green thing that looks kinda like the Northern Lights, LOL, swimming inconsistently through usually the top, but occasionally the bottom, of the frame. 

The other thing is the bad tracking that gets better, but doesn't disappear, when I adjust the playback on the VHS unit (it may vary with units, and I have 3, but I'm not dragging another one out of the top of the closet unless I have to, and I don't think it'll eliminate it entirely, anyway).

Is there a way to get a screen capture in PE? I could (theoretically) show you what I mean.

Here's the thing: I know this software is capable of all kinds of things I would never have been able to do "the old fashioned way," like color and lighting adjustment, for example, and probably some of those hokey wipes and such. The majority of which I'll never use for my purposes, and that's fine. 

Right now I am learning, and I'm using VHS tapes of an old TV show (one that cannot, incidentally, be purchased anywhere for any amount of money, probably due to a rights issue, which eventually may be resolved) as something relatively easy to work on (easy to find commercials to cut out, to practice that kind of editing, then I want to figure out how to do a plain-but-decent menu on a DVD). (The bulk of stuff I want to transfer is figure skating, much of which was recorded in the rink by me and a fellow skater, so one-of-a-kind, but also complex.)

In any case, since I'm doing the TV show as an exercise, I want to learn the best way, but also, I might as well be able to watch it in the end. If there's a way to fix that stuff, I'd like to; if not, not the end of the world. It's watchable, just annoying. What I don't want to do is transfer it, THEN find out that I could have fixed those things, but by then the tapes are gone (this applies to the skating as well; I don't want to have to schlep them next time I move!) and so I'm stuck with aurorae borealis for ever and ever.

Thoughts? Advice? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just what Steve said:

"There's not a lot you can do to get rid of them aside from enlarging your video in the frame."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Umm... That's not the kind of robins I'm talking about, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines