• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Video clips go black while editing, audio remains (Premiere Elements 15)

Community Beginner ,
May 02, 2018 May 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all

Hopefully there is an easy fix to this.

I find that I can barely make a few edits without constant rendering or my video files will disappear while editing.

*running i7-6700 CPU @3.4 GHz/32 GB RAM/GTX 1070

I don't mind rendering, but it gets very time consuming if I have to render several times during a simple trim edit.  Im editing/uploading video several times a week.

Thanks in advance...been searching for answers for weeks, finally resorted to starting a discussion.

-nik

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What operating system are you using?

What model of camcorder is your video coming from and what is the video's resolution and format?

Non-camcorder video can use compression systems that don't play nicely with video editing programs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steve

Windows 10 home

recording with either Lumix G7, Nikon D750, occasionally Samsung Galaxy Tab S or Logitech C920

I record usually in HD, 1080, (1920x1080, 4:3)

save as 720 HD (1280x720) or 1080 HD depending on where its going and what its for.

I figured it was some kind of memory allocation problem or the like...but, it didn't do this when first installed.  It just progressively got worse.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 03, 2018 May 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you saying you're experiencing the same issue no matter which camera your video is coming from?

To troubleshoot, focus on one video source. The Nikon D750. Can you confirm that you have this camera configured to shoot in 1920x1080 at 60i? If your camera is shooting in MOV, have you ensured you have Quicktime installed?

QuickTime 7.6 for Windows

If you start a new project, what happens when you first add one of these video clips to your timeline? Do you see a yellow orange "render" line above the clip on the timeline? This is an indicator that your project settings and video specs don't match, which can cause inefficient performance.

BTW, what processor do you have with how much RAM?

RenderLine.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response, Steve

I am recording in mp4, 60i, 1920x1080

processor is i7-6700 CPU @3.4 GHz - 32 GB RAM - graphics card is updated GTX 1070

With further investigation, it looks like I can trim to my heart's content without getting the render line, but as soon as I make an adjustment, use a tool, applied effect, etc...that is when the yellow line shows up.

Of course, before I trim, I always adjust the lighting or rotate if needed, etc.  Who wants to adjust 20 clips separately?    o.O  ha!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm just asking about when you first at this MP4 to your project. Which, as you say, you are not seeing a render line above this video when you first add it to your project.

Are you saying that when you edit this video -- video only from this camera -- the video is vanishing as you edit? And by vanishing, I assume you mean you can't see it in the Monitor window. Not that it's literally vanishing from the timeline, right?

That said, first step is to go to the nVidia site and ensure you have the latest drivers for your graphics card. Don't trust Windows to provide it for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct, when I initially add a project to the timeline, there is no yellow render line.

But as soon as I apply an edit, applied effect, etc. the render yellow line shows up.

I can only make a couple edits and the video clips start to vanish.

And when I say they vanish, the project still remains in the timeline, but the video clips will go black in the monitor window while the audio can still be heard for those black clips.

Then I have to hit "undo" until the video shows back up....then I have to render....make more edits and sometimes have to render again before exporting.

This particular clip I just tested is from the Lumix G7, shot in mp4, 60i, 1920x1080...didn't have a clip from the D750 handy.

and yes, I always go to nVidia to update

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Lumix video may have some other things going on. That's why I wanted you to do a test drive using only the Canon footage, since it is designed to be edited. Please let me know how results go on a project that uses exclusively Canon footage.

And don't forget to go to the nVidia site to update your card's drivers!

Also, go to the Preferences (under the Edit menu) and UNCHECK the option to use Hardware Acceleration -- a feature which can actually cause reduced performance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks, Steve

I did uncheck the Hardware Acceleration quite a while ago, but it didn't make a difference as of yet.

The G7 is made for video, up to 4K, don't have any issue with it in any other software, but will try again on the Nikon when I get a chance.

The drivers are in tip top shape on all my computers, made sure of that!

I will try to edit some clips on my Alienware laptop and see if I come up with the same glitch.

Thanks for your persistence, I appreciate it

I will figure this out sooner or later 😃

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 04, 2018 May 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nik, I've had that problem occasionally and in my case, it was a memory overload. Try this:

1. Close all of your other applications, including PRE.

2. Re-start your computer.

3. With a new PRE file, load just the video. (No other graphics, audio or videos.)

See if you get your video now.

That's worked for me in the past, and then, with frequent saving, I begin adding any other media one piece at a time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 04, 2018 May 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

good morning willie,

Thanks for the input, I will def try that!

So, its a Premiere Elements problem then?

I can't imagine this beast of a computer not being able to handle it.  It can run photoshop, lightroom and be playing videos all at once without a hiccup...but, when I'm exporting a project from Premiere Elements it bogs down my computer when nothing else is even open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines