Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Video stabilization vs steady cam

Explorer ,
Apr 23, 2018 Apr 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys,

I've shot some slow panning footage by hand with my iPhone 6.

I was trying to be all smooth, when rotating through the scene, but viewing it on the computer, it's pretty jerky.

Do you think I need a hand-held steadicam type device to shoot smoother video?

Or just use the stabilization in Premiere Elements 2018?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 24, 2018 Apr 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's always to your advantage to have smooth footage to begin with. But, if that's not possible, the stabilizer can certainly smooth things out to some extent (though, as I show you in my tutorial, stabilizing DOES sacrifice some resolution).

One note though. You say you're panning across a scene? A stabilizer effect really doesn't work well under those circumstances. Stabilizers work by identifying and object in the center of your video frame and then creating motion keyframes to keep it in the center, essentially. If you're panning, then you have no central image for the stabilizing to lock onto.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One note though. You say you're panning across a scene? A stabilizer effect really doesn't work well under those circumstances. Stabilizers work by identifying and object in the center of your video frame and then creating motion keyframes to keep it in the center, essentially. If you're panning, then you have no central image for the stabilizing to lock onto.

Yes, exactly  Panning across the scene. 

Well, actually I'm doing all kinds of shooting with the iPhone 6, and it's all jerky : P

So it sounds like using a stabilizer in Premiere Elements is better, say, if you're running or walking and shooting something straight in front of you, that you're walking towards.  But for panning or other shots you'd be best getting smooth footage with steadicam type device.

Does anyone recommend a good steadicam type device that works with both iPhone and DSLR? 

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think what Steve is trying to say is that you have to turn OFF the stabilization in your phone or any camera if you are panning.  In other words, you are forcing camera motion by panning and the camera/phone is trying to stop motion.  On fights the other.

Most watchable video that is easy on the eyes is done by holding the camera still.  But, if you must run, walk or jump around gimbals have become more effective than mechanical stabilizers.  The "Zhiyun-Tech Smooth-Q Smartphone Gimbal" is popular and well rated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines