• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Was creating a video, saved everything, now red screen pops up (cannot read .prel file)

Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2018 Nov 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

I was creating a video with Adobe Premiere elements  and everything was going well until I rewrote the files I saved (all video clips and sound) as different names. I saved it, it was working fine, then when i restarted my computer the next day, the adobe reader says it cannot open .prel files, because a codec isnt installed. This has never happened before, and when I ignore the message, it cannot even read any of the videos on sequence. This is very annoying, because I spent a lot of time on this video so far. Plesae let me know what the issue is if you guys know this problem, it would be helpful.

Thank you

Mark

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 09, 2018 Nov 09, 2018

See here to replace the files with the renamed ones:

Adobe Premiere Elements Help | Replace footage

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I rewrote the files I saved

You might be in big trouble. If you rename source files Elements loses all its links to those files.

Might not be able to relink.

Post screenshot of all the error messages and timeline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ADOBE RED ERRROR rename.jpg

Im sure it auto linked before, and I did so. I dont have too many video files so I assumed it saved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you change the file extensions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't change any file extensions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ADOBE EXT SCREENSHOT.jpg

Extension image error when I try to open the file I was ​just ​using.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rego121  wrote

Extension image error when I try to open the file I was just using.

Premiere Elements is asking you where JTB2.mp4 is.  Since you changed the name, it doesn't know what file to use.

The extension message is because the project file is highlighted, not the missing video.

What you will have to do is to navigate to the new name of the file and choose that file.  Premiere Elements will then ask you to do the same for each file you renamed. 

If you can't relink that way, you will either have to manually relink each video file or replace the file in the timeline with the new file (the renamed file).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure I know how to do this. Can I send you a call or make it a little clearer? Maybe texting or something

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or maybe tell me how to manually relink

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 09, 2018 Nov 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to know the new name for the file Elements is asking for.

Bad move to change names while making a movie. Never do that again (unless you know what you are doing).

Renaming files is done before starting a project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mp4 is an extension for a movie file.

prel is an extension for a project file (which you do not import).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See here to replace the files with the renamed ones:

Adobe Premiere Elements Help | Replace footage

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rego121,

Try the following:

1. Put all of your project assets in a single folder (directory) Call it 'Repair'. This includes videos and graphics and any other imported assets.

2. Open your project file.

3. Open your Project Assets window and double click the "broken" links. (A 'broken icon' appears in all of the cells in your Project Assets)

4. When you double-click each broken icon, a directory appears; open the Repair directory you stored all of your asset files in. Find the missing asset in your Repair directory and choose it.

5. Repeat Step 4 until all of your asset cells  in the Project Assets windows have replaced the 'broken icon' with a thumbnail of the linked asset.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The program wont find the files as they have been renamed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 21, 2018 Nov 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you all for the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines