• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

We have detected an incompatible display driver. (premiere elements 14)

Community Beginner ,
Nov 04, 2017 Nov 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nvidia gtx 1080

windows 10 home 64 bit V:1703 OS build 15063.674

Intel i7-6820HK 2.7GHz

adobe premiere elements 14

recent error message :  "We have detected an incompatible display driver. To get a better and faster playback.  Update your driver."

I did update my nvidia driver.

Still recieving the error message. 

I did find previous threads that mentioned deleting a file named "BadDriver.txt" but even after unhiding all files and extensions i was unable to find said file.  i am unable to open elements to do any editing.  If anyone has a solution or could point me in the right direction.   It would be much appreciated. Premiere Elements

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Nov 11, 2017 Nov 11, 2017

Current update:  Had to have direct assistance from a wonderful adobe expert that took over my computer.  The only way that i can get elements to open and for me to be able to work is for me to disable my nvidia driver and then open elements. after opening elements i can then work in the program.  the steps are :

1. open device manager

2. find "display adapters" this might also be called "display drivers?"

3. right click on the video card

4. click "disable device"

5. open elements

6.  reopen device

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Nov 05, 2017 Nov 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only solution is the one you've applied -- so, unfortunately, there is nothing more to recommend.

1. Shut off the program and get the latest driver from the nVidia site.

2. Delete the BadDriver.txt file from ProgramData/Adobe/Premiere Elements/14.0. (If you have more than one version of Premiere Elements on your computer, this file will be in ProgramData/Adobe/Premiere Elements.)

3. Restart the program.

If that doesn't do it, I'm not sure what else to recommend.

Although you aren't the only one who's reported this problem, so it's quite possible nVidia has released another buggy driver. (This happened last year at this time.) See if you can find an older nVidia driver, one from mid-2017, rather than the current driver and see if that makes a difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue.  And deleted the file (it is actually called baddrivers.txt). 

No, it is not the display drivers.  Adobe Premiere 15, installed, operated fine. Purchased 18, uninstalled 15, ran 18 one time just fine. Then got an update from Adobe. It began throwing issues (with the same display drivers that it ran on before).  Grabbed the newest drivers from nVidia.  Still doesn't work.  Adobe problem, not nVidia.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did roll back my drivers (although i was never auto updating drivers, so the premiere elements gave me this error message using the same driver that i had been using for months).  After rolling back the driver i recieved another error message :  "We have detected generic Microsoft's display driver on this machine.  To get a better and faster playback performance, please update your display driver.  Display driver details:  Microsoft Corporation - GDI Generic 1.1.0"

Update my driver as it wanted and back to the original error message.  I am now beyond frustrated and am finding more and more people having the same issues with premiere.   I feel as if this is a problem that adobe is not adressing and that i have been duped out of approx. $100 for an issue that they won't/can't help me resolve.

Yes, this does definitelly appear to be an adobe issue.  I am unable to use this product after shelling out the money for what i believed would be a working video editing software.   I have the utmost respect for Steve Grisetti and really he has been the only person on planet earth it seems that is able to help with elements problems.  (i hope that he is getting compensated for his help) honestly Steve, you have helped me through so many problems with premiere.

I guess from the original post i have no further recourse to fix this issue.  If anyone reading this has any further help please advise.

Reuben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i really want to fix this problem.  I wish it was as easy as :

1. Download new updated driver for nvidia gtx 1080

2. unhide hidden files and folders

3. search program data and delete the "baddriver.txt" file    

4. reopen premiere elements 14 and continue working on projects that you already have in there....

unfortunately this does not work.  i continue to get the same error message and am beyond frustrated.  i'm sad and i just want it to work again...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 09, 2017 Nov 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My problem has been solved.  Long story short. Steve Grisetti was right, there were just many more steps involved. 

1.  I did have to roll back to a previous version of my nvidia driver.

2. i was unable to download a previous version of my driver because i had to get a newer update for my operating system (weird i know)

3. after downloading an update for windows i then  performed the actions as stated. 

4. find and download older version of driver

5. unhide all hidden files and folders to make "program data" accesable and then "adobe" then delete "baddriver.txt"

6. open premiere elements and continue working on your awesome video.

"Never question Steve Grisetti, even when you think he's wrong....he's right."  - Reuben Cupit

Thanks for all the help guys. i was also in contact with adobe through twitter and nvidea through their customer service (email communication) with everyone helping me i got it figured out in about 6 days..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 09, 2017 Nov 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

never mind, after all that it opened once and then when i tried to reopen it, it just gave the same error message as the first time. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 11, 2017 Nov 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Current update:  Had to have direct assistance from a wonderful adobe expert that took over my computer.  The only way that i can get elements to open and for me to be able to work is for me to disable my nvidia driver and then open elements. after opening elements i can then work in the program.  the steps are :

1. open device manager

2. find "display adapters" this might also be called "display drivers?"

3. right click on the video card

4. click "disable device"

5. open elements

6.  reopen device manager

7. repeat step 2 and 3

8. click "enable device"

continue editing...it's not what i would consider a perfect solution but it temporarily works. i will be getting in touch with nvidia to find a master solution to this issue if i can but this will allow people to work at least.

Reuben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 29, 2017 Nov 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Reuben

Thanks for taking the time to write your full experience.  Mine is similar.  3 days into it. Frustration to the extreme. ADOBE just dont seem to want to own this problem between Elements 2018 and NVIDIA.

I just applied your above solution and I'm in!  At long last.

As you say, not ideal, but I can like with it more than dreaming of how I can get my hands around the neck of ADOBE!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines