• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What is 4K video editing

Explorer ,
Nov 12, 2018 Nov 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve Grisetti and Bill each mentioned 4K editing, meaning I should consider this when buying a new computer. Or should I say, I should consider if I need/want to do 4K editing when I choose a new computer. Can someone tell me what 4K editing is? Especially as it  relates to Adobe, since I am not doing any editing anyplace else.

Thanks.

LNovik

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Standard definition video -- the old TV standard -- was only 720x480 pixels in resolution. Only about 345,000 pixels or little dots of color making up each frame of video.

High Definition HDTV -- what most TVs are today -- is 1920x1080 pixels. That's about 2,000,000 pixels resolution or nearly 6 times the resolution of standard definition video. Because it is nearly 2,000 pixels wide, it is sometimes called 2K.

4K video is nearly 4,000 pixels wide -- 3840x2160 pixels. That's 4 times the resolution of high-def!

You can imagine how much more detailed that video would be! And some of the newer TVs are 4K rather than 2K.

But because it has 4 times the resolution, it can require a bit more computer power.

Most consumer camcorders and phones shoot in 1920x1080 HD. But some more advanced camcorders, phones and action cameras like the GoPro shoot in 4K. Though most likely you'll know if your device is shooting in 4K rather than HD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Steve's summary is good!

The march of technology goes on!  A visit to any box store selling TVs will demonstrate that "4K" is what people are buying.  Newer cameras have the option to shoot in 4K. 

Is 4K a necessity?  Obviously not.  Our broadcast television remains "HD".  Only specialty Netflix and Amazon Prime shows use it.

I have a couple cameras and a TV that can do 4K.  My computer and Premiere Elements can handle it. I enjoy it.  It is probably not a necessity!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines