• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

When I click "get media" I get a message that there such a file already in use.

New Here ,
Oct 28, 2017 Oct 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Premiere elements again, but this time I cannot get the video clips to go into the time line or project assets.  When I click "get media" I get a message that there such a file already in use.  Everything is grayed out and I can't change the fine destination.  Thank you.  Roy

[Moved from the non-technical Lounge Forum to the Program forum... Mod]

[Here is the list of all Adobe forums... https://forums.adobe.com/welcome]

[title edit by mod]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 28, 2017 Oct 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Roy,

This sounds frustrating!  Your brief description does not leave much to guess on.  I would be happy to try to work through this step by step. 

First, what version of Premiere Elements and what computer system are you using?  What is the source of the video clips and where are they located in your computer. 

What happens if you reboot the computer, open Premiere Elements and exercise the Add Media routine.

Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2018 Jul 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you determine a solution?  I have the same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an old topic and the originator never replied.

If you can give some detail, I'll try to work it out. 

If you close your current project and start a new one, do you see the same thing?  Is it possible that the target media is open and being used by another application?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No videos are viewable on premiere. they are directly off an iPhone 7 MOV files and work perfectly on other video viewing software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are you getting the video from your phone to your computer? If you use Premiere Elements' Video Importer to get your videos, you have the option of the program providing a custom name for your video files.

If you go with the default name for the file provided by your phone, it may be a name that's already in use on another video file, which can confuse the program. Try renaming your video files and see if that makes a difference.

Also, you don't say what operating system you're using but that can be a HUUUUUUGE factor! There's a world of difference between how this program performs on Windows and Mac OS and even a significant difference on editing on Mac OSX and its new OS series. 

It also makes a significant difference which version of the program you're using, and that likewise isn't mentioned in your post.

And, if you are on a Windows machine, I highly recommend you install Quicktime 7, which provides important components you'll need to edit a number of MOV codecs.

QuickTime 7.6 for Windows

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Premiere Elements 16.

Quicktime is not supported by Apple since April 2016.

SYSINFO1.jpgSYSINFO2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The components that install with Quicktime may be of value when editing MOV files.

True, Quicktime for Windows has been essentially discontinued. And, for security's sake, you may want to disable the player by changing QuicktimePlayer.exe to QuicktimePlayer.old. But those components that install with it can still provide support for video editing programs on Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

did not work. Thanks though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Renaming the files didn't work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i copied directly from iPhone. I refuse to do more than that. Otherwise the software is too ridiculous to use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess it's your choice how you choose to use the software. Sorry we can't offer anything beyond what we've suggested.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the help. I do appreciate the help. If Adobe tech support doesn't have a quick fix, then they get it back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 23, 2018 Jul 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Try this solution:

1. Make sure all of your other programs are stopped and disconnect your mobile media device. (If you're using BlueTooth, either turn off the BT or just turn off the device.

2. Once everything is turned off, re-start your computer.

3. Open PRE and ONLY PRE.

4. Be sure all of the assets in the Project Assets window are in the same relative position to PRE as when you first uploaded the file to the Project Assets window. (You really don't upload it; just a reference to it and so all assets' positions must be the same when added to the Project Assets box.)

5. Try it again. If you have the same problem, then create a new Project File and add the video to the Project Assets window and give it another try.

If that doesn't work, not sure what it is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines