Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Auto Transcription and data privacy

Explorer ,
Feb 23, 2021 Feb 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am testing the new auto transcription feature available in the Premiere Pro Beta version. It is a great feature but I am wondering how my personal data are stored/used once they are on Adobe servers ? I don't find any details about that. Someone on the support chat told me that data are secured and not use by Adobe but is there any document to check all details about privacy ?

For example I want to know how many time my data are stored on Adobe servers. Is it possible to ask Adobe to not store my data. Maybe to delete my data etc....

Thank you for your help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 20, 2022 Jan 20, 2022

Hi all,

adding to this discussion - there is a section on privacy and security on the Speech to Text FAQ:

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/speech-to-text-faq.html

To quote it here:

"Speech to Text has been developed with security in mind. User files are encrypted in transit and during the transcription process. As soon as a transcription is completed, the user files are deleted."

The current Beta version also uses on-device transcriptions only - this means that all data remain on y

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 24, 2021 Feb 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cedric,

I'll move your post to the beta forum.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 24, 2021 Feb 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any data stored should be only in your CC folders, which you control in the CC Desktop app.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 09, 2021 Mar 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I talk about privacy I am talking about data (audio) that are sent to Adobe server when the AI technology process the content. Something is sent to Adobe servers and I want to know what is the Adobe policy about those data. Can Adobe use the data to train the AI algorithm ? Do they delete data automatically ? Can Adobe use my data to.... do things ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2022 Jan 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am hoping someone can further clarify...

I chatted with an Adobe rep yesterday to find out if I could delete the audio that had been louded to the cloud when I used the trancription tool.   They said I could not access the server where the audio had been uploaded and could not delete it.

Is there a way to purge the files once the transcript has been created?

Or is there a written policy from Adobe about how long these files get saved?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 18, 2022 Jan 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've seen others ask, and you bet that the folks doing full b-cast have to know about this. The answer given ... there's nothing kept on their servers. They would have no interest of use of it, and it would be a massive amount of storage space taken up daily.

No, the user doesn't have a way to access it because there's nothing to access.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 09, 2021 Mar 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many of the clients that have "enterprise" accounts ... meaning they've got perhaps 50+ CC licenses ... are also businesses where data security is an ABSOLUTE priority. Getting certified to work with most say streaming or broadcast services means someone comes in (at your great expense) and physically evaluates your premises, your handling of data, your online/offline security protocols, and gives you a list of things to change before they'll grant you certification.

PrPro is used by a number of major motion picture houses ... and they have the same stringent security needs. No compromises allowed.

So Adobe is very aware that anything they do has to pass security  requirements for organizations where typically most computers are "air-gapped" ... meaning never, ever connected to the 'net.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 20, 2022 Jan 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

adding to this discussion - there is a section on privacy and security on the Speech to Text FAQ:

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/speech-to-text-faq.html

To quote it here:

"Speech to Text has been developed with security in mind. User files are encrypted in transit and during the transcription process. As soon as a transcription is completed, the user files are deleted."

The current Beta version also uses on-device transcriptions only - this means that all data remain on your own machine all the time and no processing is happening in the cloud any more. (works completely offline)

Best regards,

Alexander

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 05, 2023 Oct 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

May I ask why the FAQ still says under the GDPR section that the service is done on servers? Or why the section is still there that says "it's been developed with security in mind". If it's done on-device, why mention security at all on the FAQ page?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 05, 2023 Oct 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Probably because they are notably slow in updating their documentation. It's only been on-device only for over a year now. So maybe in another few months the docs will be updated.

I would add that the service is heavily used in professional and network usage, where if you ain't paranoid, you're not secure enough. So if used there, it's apparently passing muster for some hard to please security types.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 06, 2023 Oct 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Appreciate the rapid response and thoughts from you 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2023 Nov 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've been looking into this and this statement has changed. It no longer includes the "User files are encrypted in transit and during the transcription process. As soon as a transcription is completed, the user files are deleted." line.

I've been hunting around but haven't yet found anything definitive from Adobe that clearly states that it doesn't collect and store video transcription data.

Does Adobe have an AI privacy policy somewhere clearly stating what it does with organisation and personal information when it's processed vi AI and/or machine learning?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 20, 2023 Nov 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That change was for a very simple reason.

All transcription processes happen on that machine. NOTHING ever goes online, period.

When they got the "machine" small enough to put into 'local' code they did, because:

1.  speeds up the process;
  2.  meets the stringent security protocols most pro productions must meet, and 
  3.  doesn't cost them tons of cash to provide online storage/processing space. (Saves them a ton of cash.)

Does that answer your question?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources