• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Half-Saturation Vectorscope Target boxes

LEGEND ,
Feb 28, 2022 Feb 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A lot of editing uses mulitple cameras of the same interview or scene, or matched cameras between scenes. Using chip charts from whatever source can help matching the images.

But the Saturation target boxes in the VectorsScope YUV are full saturation targets. Most camera clip chart work comes in as somewhere between half and 2/3rds Sat levels.

So one guesses ... you try to visually get the target inline, and about half the distance between center and outer target ... which is both slow and not entirely accurate due to visual guessing.

Having Saturation Target Boxes at half-Saturation would make this a TON faster and more accurate.

I include two examples ... this top one is on import to Premiere.

Matching Before Chip.PNG

And this one is after importing. The saturation from the camera is PLENTY for the actual imagery.

Matching After Chip.PNG

But note, the chips don't go past about half way of the distance from center to the target boxes. And I've used several different chip sets, from this Xrite one through the full sized Macbeth and several others. All seem to need to be about the 50-60% mark between the center and the target boxes per color.

Doing this with (in my case) a BMPCC4K and a GH3 gets me 90% of the way to a very tight 2-camera studio interview color prior to actually matching images. And I've used this with the BMPCC4K and Red, A7s3, Mavic drones, several other cameras.

But it would be faster and more accurate with targets that are usable!

Neil

@Francis-Crossman 

@Jarle Leirpoll 

TOPICS
Feature request

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 28, 2022 Feb 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Along with the half-sat targets, it would also be good if we had the ability to simply click in the Lumetri HSL Hue v Hue and Hue v Sat curves, and get the six hue control points selected on the curve. This would actually cut more time from the job than the target boxes, but seems to be part of the needed new workflow.

Click once each curve, then simply drag the control points where needed to complete the color matching.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 01, 2022 Mar 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This would be a nice addition to the scopes, but wouldn't it be much better to get automatic balancing when using these charts? Even better: Sensei could automatically find the chart, crop out everything else, and do the balancing for us. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 01, 2022 Mar 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well, that would be a perfect solution, wouldn't it?  😉

But I figured I'd ask for a bit of cake, and not demand the icing too!

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources