• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Missing a simple option in the new caption tool...

Explorer ,
Apr 05, 2021 Apr 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,
I'm testing the new caption tool for a while now, and it's very great. But I think I miss something very simple:
1/ My clients often ask for a full size BG below the text (I mean from left to right) and not "under words only". They feel that distracting for the eyes. In the regular essential graphic pannel, I'm used to draw a simple rectangle (demi transparent) and that's all:Capture d’écran 2021-04-05 à 16.40.54.pngCapture d’écran 2021-04-05 à 16.40.33.png
2/ In the new tool, the design controls for that are limited (no layers available). So I use the BG option but it only affects the "words". Ok you can scale it but it will be based on the center of the sentence. Adding a simple x;y scale as separate option will solve the issue. Or allowing user to add a layer to caption.
What do you think?
best regards,

TOPICS
Feature request , Feedback

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a feature request. While a number of users have asked for more flexility on how the background box works, I don't see a current feature request that makes your point.

https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro

A workaround at present would be to nest the captions in a new sequence, where you can add a background graphic/box below the caption layer.

See this post:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/faq-workaround-nesting-to-apply-effect-controls-to-capti...

Your request requires a new "method" to those I listed.

To Add a Static Background Full Width Behind the Captions.

In Sequence 2, set the CTI so you can see a caption. Add a solid of the desired color (or a variety of other methods) in a video track below the nested caption sequence clip in the timeline. In Effect Controls -> Video -> Scale, uncheck “Uniform Scale,” and reduce the vertical scale so it is the desired size. Then move the solid to the desired position. Note that this only works well when all the captions are same number of lines – mixing one and two line captions would require using a larger box for all of them.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Stan for your answer,
That's the workaround I've found (to test, as I never trully edit on Betas); or even easier, instead of nesting, just have a below track with the graphic covering 2 lines: depending on the language/culture of your audience, some countries mainly use 2 lines subtiles. That's the reason I've asked another feature resquest that would be wonderdul: telling the transcription engine the average number of caracters you expect (or at least 1/2 lines as priority). i.e, short subtitles work very well in english, but not at all in french, german or italian (some very long words). 
But in any case, just put the x;y scaling ability would help in many, many cases (as you can do in AE when creating a MOGRT) and not only for captioning.
Thanks,  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You are, of course correct: there is no reason for the nesting in this case. Just add the graphic as a top layer in the video layers.

And also, it has all the problems you note.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources