• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Now in Beta: Removing Tape and Capture Workflows

Adobe Employee ,
Jan 27, 2023 Jan 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Following on from our announcement last year, we are removing tape and capture workflows from Premiere Pro, starting with the public Beta version 23.3 (build 14).

What is being removed:

• Edit to Tape panel 
  • Capture panel 
  • Support for third-party capture plug-ins 
  • Capture project settings 
  • Preferences > Capture 
  • Preferences > Device Control 
  • Menu commands related to the above functionality 
  • Keyboard shortcuts related to the above functionality 

What is not being removed:

• Support for third-party Mercury Transmit plug-ins
  • Exporting to XDCAM drives mounted as a file system 

We expect most editors won’t notice a change using this new version of Premiere Pro (Beta). If you do encounter any issues, especially with opening older projects that used tape capture in the past, please let us know in a comment below. Thank you! 

TOPICS
Feedback

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jul 28, 2023 Jul 28, 2023

>Why is this done?

Because usage has plummeted, and supporting and maintaining tape capture-related code hinders the team from focusing on future-facing and more frequently-used features. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 27, 2023 Jan 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't say I'm a fan of this....still ingest from the old DSR-11 around once or twice a year. And I still master DVCAM tapes with footage I may need.

I get that it's use is rare, but it does come up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 01, 2023 Feb 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

For us it would require keeping around an old version of Premiere as we have a massive archive of DVcam tapes (NHS Hospital department) and often have to capture from these and miniDV from patient records as not every department has upgraded to modern equipment.... dissapointing if this is the case. can still capture via Quicktime but not as seamless as in the editor (device control etc)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 01, 2023 Feb 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For those looking for an alternative...

I was never a fan of PR capture, and was always SD only in the tape age. My go to was Scenalyzer:
http://www.scenalyzer.com/

As I say, its main drawback was it was only for capturing SD material.

It is no longer supported, but available free. It was working on Win10 last time I used it.

I don't recall if it recorded back to tape.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 14, 2023 Feb 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We use it everyday in our controlrooms to quick capture some presentions and teaser.

I would suggest at MXF HDCAM 1080i capture when using a Blackmagic card.

For HD broadcasters this is still very handy...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Feb 14, 2023 Feb 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Niche use but we still use capture tool to grab near live sources on OBs (i.e. play back from EVS channel into PP is quicker than exporting a clip)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 02, 2023 Jun 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if i understand this correctly, the "development" of disallowing me to import from a tape deck? is a serious degradation for me. I have a ROOMFULL of min-dv tapes and a bunch of assorted other masters that are going to need to be digitized in the next two years and just like removing encore (which i am STILL angry at) it takes an old, standard, and useful function and destroys it for me. NOT happy. unless im wrong about the functionality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 27, 2023 Jun 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rttr

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 28, 2023 Jun 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lack of firewire capture is a serious problem in my shop.  Fortunately I have CS5 on a couple of old laptops that I can use for capture, but I'm concerned about what happens when they give up the ghost.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 28, 2023 Jul 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why is this done? I doesn't affect anything when not used.

We use capture of live feeds daily direct in Premiere because editing afterwards is quickly be done then.

We use Black Magic cards to capture HD1080i.

It would be nice to at HDCAM 50 codec to the capture module.

If it has to go put it as seperate app in the Adobe folder!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 28, 2023 Jul 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>Why is this done?

Because usage has plummeted, and supporting and maintaining tape capture-related code hinders the team from focusing on future-facing and more frequently-used features. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2024 Feb 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

A agree with the other posters, because a feature is not used by the masses doesn't mean its not still valued and useful. Most Adobe software is utilized by a range of users with different needs and wants. Does it really take a lot to maintain this feature and support it in code? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Aug 28, 2023 Aug 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not a fan. Using Black Magic captures weekly in a broadcast control room, & it's just dropping funcrionality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 28, 2023 Aug 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, there weren't many good options for capture codecs anyway, since QuickTime changes years ago

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 16, 2023 Sep 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For documentaries, I would prefer that this feature remain.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources