• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Beta runs out of Memory on Mac Mini M1 (says 70GB used)

Explorer ,
Feb 10, 2021 Feb 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere Beta runs out of memory on my Mac Mini M1 (16GB RAM). To be specific, the window that pops up is from Mac OS, and Premiere seems to be OK but I save and close to be safe.

The weird thing is, the popup claims Premiere Beta is using 70GB memory. But I have it configured to optimize for "Memory" (not "Performance") and to use 8GB memory max.

The project has over 100 raw media footage files in it, each 2-3 minutes long. They're not all in use in the open Sequences, but they're imported in the project. Is Premiere Beta loading all of those clips in RAM, even if not used in any open sequences?

TOPICS
Crash

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Geoff5CBF No, Premiere would not be loading all those clips fully into RAM. That sounds like some other kind of memory issue. Is it possible to share your project file (no media) with me so I can see if I can make this happen on my end?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure, here it is, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2021 Feb 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue but on the air - using 50gb of memory somehow?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2021 Feb 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just had this issue on the air, says it was using 72gb memory.

i noticed my program did feel a bit slow until i finally got the notification.

i tried to save & quit, it took like 10 minutes to save and the froze and i had to force quit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 11, 2021 Feb 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just happened again, right when I went to Export. Seems to be related to Rendering/Exporting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2021 Feb 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue but on the air - using 50gb of memory somehow?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2021 Sep 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue. When I open a project in PP 2021 on mac mini M1 2021, I get the "your system has run out of memory" message from the OS. The first time I tried to open it, the message said premiere was using 116 GB. The second time it's saying 6GB-- which is well below my 16GB ram, but I still can't seem to edit or do click anything in premiere. 

Premiere M1 is not in beta anymore. The computer is brand new, got it yesterday. Any fixes for this? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2021 Nov 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a very late response but I decided to come back here because I experienced the same problem and could not find a fix. In the meantime, I have a solution which may also work for you. Credits to Adobe support whom I contacted for this issue and worked through it with me from start to finish in a screen sharing session.

So here's what solved it for me:

Problem Description:

While working in Premiere Pro (PP) app on Apple ARM M1, a window pops up to alert you that the system is out of memory, showing tens of GBs of memory being used by PP. The error message is: "Your system has run out of application memory” and the user is asked to "quit any applications you are not using". Quitting the other open apps, however, doesn't solve the issue and eventually PP crashes.

Solution:

• Open Adobe Creative Cloud
  • Next to the PP entry, click the 3 dots and select Open (Intel)
  • If this version is not installed on your Mac yet, this will install another version of PP. Although it sounds very counter-intuitive, the Adobe expert told me this version was specifically created for Apple ARM users (i.e. for Macs not running on Intel)...
  • This version of PP will now launch, but you will not be able to tell the difference with the normal version. The UI, functionality are identical and all your projects are there. So how can you tell that you are running the Intel version? The way to check whether you are running Intel version, is to go to File > Project Settings > General and then check whether Renderer is not greyed out. If it is present and you can click it, you are now running the Intel version, but if it is greyed out, you are still using the wrong version and it will crash.
  • Important: you cannot launch the Intel version from the Dock or Alfred etc. as this will open the default ARM version with Renderer greyed out and crash. So instead, open Creative Cloud and launch Premiere Pro by clicking the 3 dots and selecting Open (Intel). BTW, Premiere Rush is a fun hybrid (iOS and Mac) video editing app that has the same memory problem with the same solution (Open Creative Cloud, select Premiere Rush and Open (Intel)). 

The solution has worked for me with all my PP project running stable and I do hope it'll work for you, too. If so, please propagate this solution on other forums and leave a note here if it helped you so other will know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2021 Nov 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE: have edited more projects now and my finding is that the Open (Intel) "fix" seems to delay the memory leak, and as a result I was able to complete some projects without any issues. But unfortunately, like paulejonesy and Geoff5CBF reported, a few projects had the dreaded error message "Your system has run out of application memory”. Cannot see the culprit (number of clips, number/complexity of the effects, duration of the edit process?). Trying to keep emotions out of this, I do want to express how surprised I am that licensed software of a global company is this unstable.

PS: in the meantime I edited some projects with Davinci Resolve. No stability issue, super-fast and the learning curve is low (there is even a UI tuned for Premiere Pro switchers). The base version is feature-rich and free. Time to throw in the towel on PP?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JimBol I'm sorry this is happening and I'd like to help get to the bottom of it. First a little clarification. When you install Premiere Pro on an Apple silicon Mac, you are installing a "Universal" version of Premiere Pro, meaning it is the Intel-specific code and the Apple-specific code bundled up into a single application. Like you noted, if you launch Premiere Pro from the Dock or Finder it will run in "native" Apple silicon mode which is normally what you would want. You can also launch this Universal version in Intel-mode either through Creative Cloud like you mentioned, or by right-clicking on the application in Finder, choosing Get Info, then clicking "Open using Rosetta". Checking that box will mean all future launches of the application will be using the Intel code. Rosetta refers to the translation code that translates Intel to Apple.

All of that said, would you be able to share just the project file with me so I can examine it for issues? We'd like to get to the bottom of what you're seeing. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Matt, is there a way I can send you my project file privately?

I have been having this problem for over a year with several different
project files, so I'm not sure if it will help. Is there a way to send you
stack traces or memory dumps, logs, or anything else?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2021 Nov 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All clear on Rosetta. Appeciate your offer to examine this. Like Geoff5CBF, I can share one of several project files (plus source clips?) that runs into the issue. Please let me know how you would like me to do this. If you think Geoff5CBF's material is sufficient and better documented with the traces etc., that's fine and we can skip my PRPROJ but I would very much like to get updates, preferably here where more of the community is checking for updates.  

Honestly, I was right about to buy Davinci Resolve Studio this morning but decided to quickly check the status of the discussion here. Will commit to run this course with you guys, first - hope it solves the issue and helps all of us forward - the community, Adobe, me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JimBol @Geoff5CBF I'm going to send you links where you'll be able to upload your projects directly to me. If it's possible to include even just one of your clips that could be useful, but I understand if you're not able to. I've talked with some members of my team and we are working on this issue already internally. So my hope is that capturing some of your real world projects can help both get to the bottom of it and make sure we can verify our fix against them.

Finally, we're also working with Apple as there may be overall memory management issues to be addressed on this new hardware and OS as well:

Thanks,

Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cool! Let me know those links to send you my info, thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2021 Nov 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@matt: Upload done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 18, 2021 Nov 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey @mattchristensen I never received your upload link. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 30, 2022 Sep 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello there! Running into the same problem over here but when I try reinstalling (any of the versions) whenI click to open using the 3 dots doesn't give me the option Open (Intel). Any other suggestions?! The project just not run at all anymore and I have no idea what else to do. Have done all of the above and nothings works. Please help if you can. I really appreciate it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI, 

This is still going on. Beta and release versions leak memory like mad. Yesterday Premiere Pro was using 152GB of memory. Opening a project the memory will start relatively low, around 6GB, but will slowly creep up 'till eventually the 'out of memory' pop-up appears. This happens on my machine (M1 Max Macbook Pro 64GB RAM, OS 12.0.1) at around 70GB or so usage. I can continue working until the dialog is reporting around 170GB at which point Prem begins to freeze. 

My project is shot on the Amira at 4K 4444, footage is proxied and it's playing back multi-camera. The takes can be long, around 10 mins. I didn't seem to have this problem last week with proxied RED footage - much shorter clips, but higher res.

Screenshot 2021-11-08 at 11.43.10.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to add, It doesnt matter if I'm running Prem natively on ARM or via Rosetta2. The problem remains.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah this still happens to me almost every day. I'm on Mac Mini M1 (ARM), using latest non-beta Premiere. Hope they fix it soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2021 Nov 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Macbook Pro with M1 Pro and 16GB of mem and this is happening to be pretty much everytime i try and edit a project. Anyone know when the fix is coming? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2021 Nov 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To add, i can now confirm when i track the acitvity on the system everytime the video plays in preview windows it doesn't unload the previous playback. This means that the memory just continues to grow in allocation on each replay. My thoughts are that this is a memory allocation issues inside the premier pro software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2021 Nov 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@mattchristensen 

1. Any updates from Adobe on the issue?
  2. Did you see @Geoff5CBF  didn't receive your link?
  3. Did you see that there is an update on the suspected root cause of it all from @theonlymevin

@Community

As it is obvious Adobe will not provide a quick resolution of the issue and I couldn't wait any longer, I switched to Davinci Resolve Studio 17 (DRS 17). It's been absolutely fantastic from day 1. First, no technical issues cutting a 2.5 hour HD movie with tons of effects, audio layers etc., buttery smooth video output, easier workflow with tabs (Cut, Edit, Fusion, Color, Audio) insanely fast rendering, surprisingly low learning curve and great community on YouTube and forums. Documentation (DaVinci Resolve 17 Reference Manual) is amazing, second to none. To each their own but for me it makes a world of difference - creativity and fun are unleashed instead of working in fear of crashes (and so many other issues with PP). The free version of DR is a great start. If any of you makes the switch also, please share your experiences here - I'd be really curious whether you'll be as excited as I am about DRS 17. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources