• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Question about new Speech to Text - will it work on source clips? If not, is that coming?

Explorer ,
Apr 01, 2021 Apr 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I signed up for Speech to Text - and I had a question.

The instruction seem to target using this is a tool for transcribing edited sequences for captioning.  Which is nifty for sure. But is there a way to transcribe source clips? 

For now, I've worked around the problem by dumping the raw footage into a sequence and then generating a transcript. However, it means the timecode now comes from the sequence rather than the raw media.  And I can't use traditional source/record editing marking in and out points.  I did try dumping the raw footage sequence into the source monitor but that cleared the text panel.

There USED to be a way to transcribe source clips in Premiere that went away several versions ago, that went away.  I think this is a great tool, BUT I think it's a bit narrow minded to just apply it to a captioning workflow. It would be great to to have Speech to Text integrated into the EDITING workflow as well. Since a lot of us are still using paid services for human or computer generated transcripts of our raw interviews.  Feature request?!

-Brian

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 01, 2021 Apr 01, 2021

No, B, there is not. Sorry. You can make a request here: https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yea, FR ... and the 'lead' discussions on the new captions workflow is mostly happening on the Public Beta forum, that's where the developers actually track the discussions. I STRONGLY recommend everyone using captions even if you don't use the public beta to follow that forum, and post comments and questions there.

Premiere Pro Public Beta Forum

And of course you can have the beta apps loaded and the public versions at the same time.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, B, there is not. Sorry. You can make a request here: https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 01, 2021 Jul 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree! I need this behavior, too. Transcriptions are SO CLOSE to being exactly what I need. But transcribing a sequence intead of a clip is definitely a fly in the ointment rn.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 27, 2021 Jul 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The speed and accuracy of the new Speech to Text is impressive on my first test. 

Does the Premiere roadmap include plans to support this feature on raw media clips?  I remember this as a feature on CS6 (maybe even back to CS5?)  and as crummy (and funnny) as it could be a times, it was still more helpful for editing than just being able to transcribe a finished sequence.

For now, I suppose I'll edit together a selects sequence and transcribe that but it would be nice to have the transscript follow the media clips.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post that here where the Adobe engineers read all threads:
https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What about putting the clip/clips in a sequence, transcribe and edit from there? That's the way i work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For now, simply make a sequence of each clip, that gets it transcribed. Then "pancke" style editing works quite well to cut your selected sections into the rough sequence. Then do your trims there.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There have been quite a few requests for this. CS6 actually had very primitive captions. But captions in pre-PR 2021 were on video tracks and you could workaround so they "stayed with" clips.

Upvote one of these feature requests:

"Add the facility to transcribe clips in addition to the constructed timeline, and have the transcribed speech follow each clip."
https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro/suggestions/43745805-add-the-facility-t...

"Speech to text transcript for source files."
https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro/suggestions/43301043-speech-to-text-tra...

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources