• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

White balance and ISO controls for ProRes RAW.

Explorer ,
Dec 17, 2020 Dec 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nikon released an update for the Z6 today that enabled metadata for WB and ISO in ProRes RAW. FCPX already has support for this but Premiere does not.

When will this be coming?

TOPICS
Feature request , Feedback , Question

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 01, 2021 Dec 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The prores raw format is growing right now, with many cameras that records prores raw and many external monitors that records prores raw. Sony A7SIII, A1, A7IV, they all can be connected to Atomos Ninja V for external Prores Raw recording.

The question here is, what is the target market for Adobe premiere pro? If I am not wrong, it is aimed at semi professionals. The Prores Raw might just be the incumbent format that takes over many other formats. Competitors such as davinci resolve (with its powerful BRaw compatibility) and final cut pro (prores raw) are making progress each day, and it seems like adobe is laid back on tools for semi professionals. When the request piles up, adobe will be losing market share already. 

The lack of requests is probably due to:
1. Users who need to use Prores Raw can easily switch to other programs, because they are tech savy and have money to purchase multiple softwares to decode prores raw, or can work around this easily.
2. Because Prores raw is already partially supported, some people don't find the need to request for more.

But the next question here is, how can adobe premiere attract new users to use the software? This is just as important as addressing the other important needs of adobe users.

By partially supporting Prores raw, it's neither here nor there. It is very tempting for people to make switches or to purchase other softwares to complement the workflow, as such market shares will be eroded slowly until one day it becomes too late.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 02, 2021 Dec 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The BlackMagic forums have a ton of comments on BM adopting Pr-RAW. As BlackMagic cameras do not have any capability for that format.

One of the main comments in reply is simply ... Pr-RAW is big for the relatively small group of users, and the rest of 'em don't care about it. The vast majority of working pro's don't 'have' to have Pr-RAW.

Would it be good to have that other major new format, even if it's not yet that widely used?

Of course!

I expect we'll get some movement that direction eventually. But as with the BM BRAW format, once BlackMagic came out with a workable (if always buggy) free plugin, and AutoKroma came out with a most excellent modest cost plugin, there was no further need for Adobe engineers to work on BRAW.

So ... perhaps there's a plugin coming from someone that will fix this issue.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 18, 2021 Dec 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, there seems to be one workaround if you want to work with your ProResRaw Footage....

https://www.cined.com/raw-convertor-new-macos-app-converts-prores-raw-into-cinemadng/

I'll try it out and see how well fits my workflow... Maybe it's time for me to finally switch over to Davinci Resolve for good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 06, 2022 Feb 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sadly, I only have windows and the price of the app is not too ideal for my workflow. Definitely thinking about switching over to Davinci Resolve. Premiere Pro is laggy software that doesn't support many features that I need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 24, 2022 Feb 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The best time for Adobe to complete their implementation of Prores Raw was well over a year ago. The second best time is now. We know these adjustments can be made. It is quite simply about exposing a Kelvin slider to the user. Seriously disappointed by the hold up as I shoot more projects in this format. If I have to use Final Cut Pro X just to perform this basic adjustment then I'll have to also consider leaving Premiere entirely.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please go to their Premiere Pro UserVoice system, search for the ProRes RAW posts, and upvote them. Come back here, post a link, we'll all go over an do so.

Marketing & Experience is actually the part of Adobe management that has the most control over what gets done in any app. And they are well 'above' the product teams ... and work by divining via the religion of Metrics what we users truly, deeply need, not what we merely, in our mistaken view, want.

Ahem. You may notice sarcasm there ...   😉

And the only way we can generate metrics for them is that UserVoice system.  All posts there are logged an an engineer into the system, and collated and passed on up to the all-knowing M&E people.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Neil, You're of course completely right. I've already voted but I dropped a comment as well. Here is the direct link for anyone who can't find it in the list. ProRes RAW ISO, white-balance and tint controls 

Jordan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And I was happy to go upvote that link ...

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources