• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

DISCUSS : AMD GPU decode for H264 & HEVC

Adobe Employee ,
Sep 07, 2020 Sep 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the latest Adobe Premiere Pro Beta build we have enabled Hardware Accelerated Decoding through AMD GPU cards.

If you have AMD GPU card on your Windows machine, you will be able to use this feature.

Feature is enabled by default.  If it finds AMD GPU card it will start utilising it for decode.

Feature is enabled in Adobe Premiere Pro Beta , After Effects Beta, Adobe Media Encoder Beta and Adobe Premiere Rush.

Please try it out and give us your Feedback.

We are looking for feedback on playback, seeking, scrubbing, reverse playback and export.

Please try out the feature and share your feedback.

TOPICS
Feedback , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 07, 2020 Sep 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to test playback streams, but in the Beta I got no playback at all (this is on build 17) - I press play and nothing happens. 
And a strange coloured bar in showing at the top of clips which is there also after export.

Untitled-1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 08, 2020 Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your feedback.

The strange coloured bar on the top, is the issue with AMD driver. We have already reported this to AMD. This is happening in all other application using AMD decoding.

Good thing is that it happens only with few of the clips, most other clips play fine.

Regarding the playback not working issue, I would request you to please test with some other clips as well, and if possible, share a test clip, that we can use to reproduce the issue at our end.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK i'm sure you'll get that sorted in time.

I tried multiple clips and multiple codecs (H.264, BRAW, Prores) and all of them showed a freeze frame of video while playing the audio. Basically no clip at all plays for me so I don't think there's any point in sending a clip. I'm guessing the RX480 just isn't supported?

I didn't have the coloured bar btw on build 15.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you updated the AMD Drivers to the latest version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, latest drivers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We will investigate this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FWIW I tried again with build 18 and still no playback of any codec. And I tried turning off hardware accell in Prefs>Media & tried changing it Software only in Proj Settings> General & neither of those made any difference. I don't have too much time to test over the next week, but will test it again when I get a chance

System info
    Application: Premiere Pro (Beta) v14.5.0.18
    OS: Windows v10.0.18362, RAM: 31.87 GB, CPUs (logical): 8

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for helping us with you feedback.

We need help with below information to reproduce the issue that you are seeing. (a) Beta build number where it was working fine for you (b) Does it work fine in release build ? (c) Even though you are not able to playback, are you able to export the clip ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

a) Actually didn't test playback in the first version I tried so I don't know if it was working or not. All I know is that in build 15 I didn't see the coloured bar on the clips while paused or in the exports.
b) Release build 14.3.2 works perfectly for me, all clips play back fine.
c) Yes I can still export the clip, but it does have the coloured bar at the top after export in builds 17 & 18.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again for your feedback. Sorry, we need some more information.

(a) Does changing to Software rendering from project setting fixes the issue?

(b) If you delete ~\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Common\PTX and launch again, does it come back? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 10, 2020 Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

a) No

b) No

I have also run into problems before in deleting the PTX folder - I did it a few months back as part of clearing the cache manually - I couldn't find much online about it, so I backed it up and then deleted it. I then opened a recent project and it wasn't working well at all. Putting the PTX folder back (having deleted the newly made one), fixed that. So I also did that today (backed it up, deleted it for the test, then restored it instead of the new one.

I mention this as it might be worth telling someone to rename the folder say for the test and then rename it back after, or back it up at least. Most of the beta testing can't impact day to day use of the main build, but this could.

I can add that when I scrub to a new frame, that frame does come up and there is a quick spike in the GPU>Video Decode. Often though there would be a flash of the wrong frame first before showing the correct frame (perhaps showing the I frame first?)

nicholasj_0-1599724785229.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are some changes made in beta builds recenntly so, please try in the latest Premeire Pro 14.5_build #18 or later. Also, open the project and then try playing the project. You may close the project then open the project and try if decoding works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was on build 18 yes. I check for updates in the CC app before testing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 12, 2020 Sep 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to add that I won't be able to do any more Beta testing for now. But keep up the good work. This feature will be very welcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 22, 2020 Sep 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is working
Screenshot_647.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 24, 2020 Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hardware Accelerated Decoding will be available in premiere pro for MAC OS? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 24, 2020 Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your query.

There will be no changes to Mac. AMD HW decoding feature is for win only in 14.5 release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 04, 2020 Oct 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for showing HW decoding in the video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 06, 2020 Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Adobe for bringthing this fearture to us.  I have soooo been wishing for this feature! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources