Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

H.264 Hardware Decoding Would Be a Great Feature to Add

Participant ,
May 04, 2020 May 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

The new H.264 hardware encoding feature in the beta is incredible. The encoding speed using Media Encoder is now 4x times faster than before. This is huge. Now, the only thing left is for Adobe to support H.264 hardware *Decoding* added to the Mercury Engine.

I use Panasonic DVX200 and Panasonic GH5 native H.264 4:2:0 files. When I try to play them back and scrub through timeline the CPU is still being used, and there is no GPU decoding support. DaVinci Resolve supports this. I think this would be a great feature to add for my workflow as it will literally eliminate the need of proxy files.

Adobe engineers : can you add this just like Resolve? 🙂

Thanks!

TOPICS
Feature request , Performance , Question

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 05, 2020 May 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the feedback on hardware Encode! and also thanks for the feature request to add decode through GPU.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome Brajesh - how hard would that be to implement before the next release? Is there enough time to do it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere Pro and AME do support hardware decoding using Intel QuickSync:

https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/multi/gpu-acceleration-and-hardware-encoding.html#Hardwareaccele...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does yes, however: my machine does not have Intel QuickSync support because it's an X299 processor. When you turned on NVIDIA hardware encoding (not QuickSync) it was amazing. So what I would like is for you to now add Nvidia NVDEC decoding support for H.264 for playback.

Does it make sense? 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 06, 2020 May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologies I missed your meaning there specifically about discrete GPU based accelerated decode. It's not something that will be added for the next upcoming release, but keep an eye on the forum discussions here for when we do have it in a state that it is ready to be beta tested.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 06, 2020 May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you Matt, I can't when it comes to fruition 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources