• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to export Timeline (with Effects rendered) to Resolve 16?

Contributor ,
Aug 08, 2020 Aug 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have a Timeline with Effects and Transitions in Premiere Pro Beta.

I'd like to export this, as an XML if possible, to Resolve 16 so that all the individual Clips are kept separate.

Any ideas on how to do this? Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Rajnesh 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Aug 09, 2020 Aug 09, 2020

Effects and transitions ... ahh. Those can be different in every app, and are the bane of colorists worldwide.

What effects and transitions? Some transitions are easily ignored by the colorist, as when their work is applied back in the NLE, the transitions are simply applied to the replacement media. The full "round trip" process.

Some ... are a pain, as the same effect does not happen in other apps. This is the sort of thing to talk over with the colorist. Sometimes they need the original m

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,
Aug 09, 2020 Aug 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There can be problems when exporting an XML from Premiere to Resolve.  I edit either in Premiere or Resolve.  I do not use XML files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moved to Premiere Pro Beta forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe an EDL will generally work better than a Final Cut XML. 

File > Export > EDL

I don't see why this was moved to the Beta forum but whatever. This functionality is identical in the current release. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Effects and transitions ... ahh. Those can be different in every app, and are the bane of colorists worldwide.

What effects and transitions? Some transitions are easily ignored by the colorist, as when their work is applied back in the NLE, the transitions are simply applied to the replacement media. The full "round trip" process.

Some ... are a pain, as the same effect does not happen in other apps. This is the sort of thing to talk over with the colorist. Sometimes they need the original media with the XML/EDL and some budgeted time for the conform process. They pretty much always need a flattened file export to use to check all clip lengths and effects, speed-ramps, frame resizes and that sort of thing.

And some projects ... it's better to send a file to them in a full-digital-intermediate format so they can cut that up and grade that file.

And "scale to framesize" in Premiere is almost always a no-go in Resolve. Set-to framesize is preferable.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your replies, Michael, Ann, John and Neil.

I came over from Davinci Resolve 16 to try out the Sharpening tools in PP, and was hoping to take the results back to DR 16 to compare with what Resolve does.

Finally, I tried a "Render and Replace" of the clips from the Clips Menu, and then took them back to Resolve.

Since I'm using PP Beta, I'll suggest to the developers that a Round Trip (with Effects etc rendered out) would be a nice enhancement.

Thanks again and Take care.

Rajnesh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 10, 2020 Aug 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Please do!

In fact if you search for exporting CLIPS from a timeline, with all orginal metadata intact (including names) BUT with all effects applied, you'll find one by me.

Upvote every one of them you find! I've been arguing with the engineers for this since at least NAB2015. Since you could export all clips with data AND corrections from SpeedGrade, but not from Premiere ... and as they were about then in the process of introducing/upping Lumetri and deprecating SpeedGrade ... yea, I had a problem with that.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources