• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Import Transcript function

Community Beginner ,
Feb 23, 2021 Feb 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to find the most fluid workflow for various language editions of a video using the new caption features in Premiere Pro Beta. I have been accepted to the testing program and see that the trascription feature works well. However I would like to import a trascript already done professionally and see that the "import transcript" feature is greyed out. Will this be available in the future?

Screenshot 2021-02-23 at 11.24.22.png

 

TOPICS
Question

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 23, 2021 Feb 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kimberly,

That looks a bit confusing. Hopefully, the developers can comment. However, I found this in the new docs: https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/user-guide.html/premiere-pro/using/working-with-captions.ug.htm... See "Using a Third Party Service." Does that help?

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2021 Feb 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Kevin. I think I'm finding that the time consuming "work" of doing subtitles in languages other than the original is not easily avoided. My problem is the translated texts are not in the SRT format. 

I have tried exporting the original language SRT file from premiere and then copy and pasting the professionally translated texts into a duplicate SRT file and importing that into Premiere. This works fine but is little or no advantage timewise than simply copy and pasting the translation directly into the Premiere timeline. 

I could have the translaters do this but I'm afraid they will inadvertently mess up the timecodes...

Let's see what the developers have in mind for that import text function that is currently not active (at least for me - though I have the latest build).

Thanks for your time!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2022 Feb 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now a year later from original post on this and the "Import Transcript" is grayed out for me as well. 

I transcribed my sequence, then exported it. Modifications where made to the txt file. I wanted to import the updated txt file version but the import is grayed out.

Any word on why this is grayed out or how to use the import feature?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 21, 2022 Feb 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the option to import a transcription if there is nothing already created. However, when it lets me choose a file to import, I can't select anything. It looks like there isn't any file extension that it will import. I don't get an error when trying to import an SRT, txt, VTT, docx, pdf etc. I just cannot select any file to import. i don't understand what kind of file it would let me import...

On the other hand, importing a SRT file in the captions tab worked 100% and with no problem. But it still left the transcript section blank. The only option its giving me is to use their auto-transcribe function. Which I'm not going to do since i already paid for a 3rd party transcription and edited it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 21, 2022 Feb 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jeffrey, the only kind of transcript that can be imported is the .prtranscript file type that PR exports (when doing "export transcript"). It is a feature request to import other types of transcripts.

All the other imports that actually import (e.g. srt) are imports of captions.

You must convert your transcript to something that will import as captions.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 11, 2022 Mar 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. This is helpful. I kept looking around to see what a .prtranscript file was and how to create one. It hadn't occurred to me that Premiere would only be able to import a proprietary file that only it exports.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 29, 2022 Sep 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. This was a surprise to me—I would have expected Premiere to be able to take any text transcript and sync it to the sequence. This is such an obvious assumption, I don't understand why the UI makes no indication of what kind of specialized file it's looking for, nor does the Premiere Help documentation. Shouldn't this be in both of those places? Nevertheless, I'm grateful to people like Stan filling in the missing parts of the manual on the forums.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 29, 2022 Sep 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources