Trying to color correct and grade ProRes RAW seems to be crashing my machine a lot

New Here ,
Apr 09, 2020 Apr 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Working on project, less than 2 minutes long. I should probably be working with proxy files but this is a new workflow for me and I'm not convinced proxy files would give me the proper color corrections for RAW files. The edit is basically complete and I had very little issue while editing and playing back, but when trying to adjust color my entire system shuts down. Screen shot of my timeline and computer specs attached. Thanks. 

Screen Shot 2020-04-09 at 9.44.54 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-09 at 9.45.43 AM.png

TOPICS
Crash, Feedback, Performance

Views

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bast_Durbin,

When you indicate your system shuts down, do you mean the Mac crashed? Or the Premiere application crashed?  In either case, was a crash log generated that you can provide? If so please private message me the crash log.
Also, can you provide specific steps followed to adjust color and at what point it crashes?
A couple more questions: Are you using LUTS? Does this happen if using another format?

Thanks,

Martie

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Martie,

Correct, The program delays for just a second and then my whole machine shutdowns and reboots. I will see if I can find any logs and try to recreate the circumstances. I'm not using any luts, just the Basic and Curves sections of color lumetri on a clip by clip basis. I haven't tested any other formats yet. I do have some .MXF files of the same shoot I may be able to swap in for testing. 

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bast_Durbin,

Please let us know the specific steps if this happens again and if so, it will hopefully generate a crash log on the next occurrence.

If it is also occurring for you when using other formats, that would be a very useful data point.
I have not been able to repro this with ProRes RAW media files so far on my test system running 10.15.4.
Best,

Martie

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cleared out all my media cache for all adobe programs, and opened up some freespace incase it was a scratch disk issue seeing as ProRes RAW files are enormous. I also ran First Aid in Disk Utitliy as well as a Malware scan but that all checks out okay.

After clearing everything out, I restarted my system, opened Premiere Pro (beta), opened the same project from the home panel and before the project could finish opening my entire computer shutdown and restarted without warning. After restart completed, I started a stop watch, opened Premiere again and opened the same project again. I have had the app open and running color adjustments for 56 minutes and counting without a crash yet. Not sure why the behavior seems inconsistent. 

This does appear to be happening more since the most recent beta update, but my project is also farther along so it's difficult for me to say if it's due to the update or due to the build becoming more complex. My system should be reasonably well suited for this task though. Possibly unrelated but the sympton did seem to get worse once I had added text layers. I am trying to reproduce the behavior and testing other files.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Switched over the same working files and project over to my older iMac with much lower specs ran for over 2 hours, adjusting text, using color dropper, color correcting all without issue and without a crash. Of course there can be a lot of different things between machines but the machine I having issues on is running the latest version of Premiere Pro (Beta) and I did not update on my older iMac.  

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What macOS version and Premiere Pro version is the older iMac running?

-Martie

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

older iMac is running
Catalina 10.15.4 (there is an epson update I haven't ran, not sure if that matters)

Premiere Pro (Beta) Version 14.2.0 (Build 1)

iMac Pro is running

Catalina 10.15.4 (I did install the epson update on this one)

Premiere Pro (Beta) Version 14.2.0 (Build 13)

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines