• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Effects Dynamic Link Breaks

Community Beginner ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since the 2021 update, every time I go to After Effects and back to Premiere, every single dynamic link for every composition pertaining to my project breaks. This isn't just exiting and restarting the program (which should no doubt be fine anyways) but by simply hitting save on After effects and switching the window back to premiere.

This bug is absurd as the compositions need to be re-linked every time and is massively infuriating.
Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
Performance or Stability

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
58 Comments
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone found a fix for this? I've had this issue since updating to 2021 and it's making my life miserable.
I've updated to 2022 and its still an issue!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it was working just fine, and suddenly stopped, I don't think it has to do with version since its same version that was working earlier... I wonder if I accidentally changed an import setting that affects how links load...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have implemented a button for a dirty hotfix (to refresh the links).
You cannot relink! (canChangeMediaPath() returns false for ae-links or mogrts)
So I delete the links, and re-import them and insert them again into their positions in the sequences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I personally solved it as David Rosenthal suggested. Uninstalled all previous versions and I was able to relink all After Effects compositions (22.2.0 - Build 120) in Premiere (22.2.0 - Build 128).
I hope it helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, I was wrestling with the same issue. I use dynamic linking and always save numbered iterations of all project files in all apps for recovery sake. As suggested above, this was the easiest solution for me: get out of the habit of using 'save as' to save iterations, and use the 'file > save a copy' option instead. BOOM! No more need to relink my .aep's every time. I hope this works as well for you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes.. I get this too... its driving me nuts, very annoying

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been killing me! I found a fix that seems to temporarily work for me... I right click the linked sequence in the project panel, then click 'edit original'. Seems to clear the bug, at least for a little while. But I agree, it's insane how unreliable dynamic linking is (and has been for years) given how essential this workflow is to people's jobs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is still broken. Save an AF file that is dynamically linked, switch back to Premiere. Link its broken - have to relink. Any help? What's the status of this bug fix?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solutions for all users of Apple systems at this link. There's your answer.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-discussions/faq-fix-hanging-with-after-effects-22-0-comp...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue here. We have AFX files dynamic linked into Premiere Pro, every time there is a change made / save to the AFX file the Premiere Pro file goes off line in the 2022 versions. Sounds like dynamic linking basically doesn't really work for anyone here. Bloody shame. Great concept.

Just looking around now for any recent news or a fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, I'm constantly having to relink. Big Sur, Pr & Ae 2021

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same problem. This has been happening me since last fall, but not on every project. I think I finally figured out the common link every time it happens: it's only on after effects projects where I have imported another comp or file from another after effects project. I needed a comp I used in a different project, so I imported it into a new ae project and used that new project to dynamic link into premiere. Now every time I saw in ae it breaks. Every other time this has happened it's also been when I'm importing a comp from another project. Not sure what to do to fix this, but I feel pretty certain that's the origin of the problem, at least for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kiryn Poole, f you use a Mac system, look for your answer on the Premiere forum. There is an answer on your topic. This is due to the security settings that blocks links. I have no problems with dynamic Pr/AE communication.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still getting this in 2022, I'm pretty tired of these f***ing programs never working properly.

I've changed my security system settings to allow AE and PR Pro full disk access, still happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Baffy19, I've changed my security system settings to allow AE and PR Pro full disk access, still happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kiryn, the Adobe ecosystem behaves strangely. For example, the dynamic link between Pr and Photoshop does not work in full for me. I can send a picture from Pr, work in Photoshop, and changes do not occur in real time.
My advice to you is to send a copy of your frame from Pr to AE, work with it, and then output it through AE. And already ready to throw the media into your project in Pr. This is as a workaround, as long as the problem with the dynamic link persists. Try

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This still an issue, every change in AE need to be saved, then in PP i need to relink the offline media to see any changes. ON Mac Studio with latest PP and AE. I've tried adding AE MC and PP tofull disk access and that hasn't worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dynamic Link (just a simple text animation with motion blur) is constantly crashing my premiere pro project. Constantly. Freezing, losing connection, crashing.
And once again something adobe declares as THE big feature for premiere and after effects - completely unusable to a degree that I can't work on my job without troubleshooting.
No AAF support under M1, Dynamic Link still crashing in 2022, custom workspaces that cause major crashes - are you kidding me?

Adobe please stop updating your faulty software with unrequested features and start fixing the tools we, as customers and professionals, rely on day by day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Needs this fixed too. I have Premiere Pro 2022 with AE 2022 comps linked inside and everytime I hit save in AE, the link inside Premiere breaks and I have to re-link to see my change. It was working well few months ago I recall with the same project files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is an issue that needs to be resolved

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dynamic Linking has become so buggy since AE and Premiere 22 that I've had to change my entire workflow because of it. I have too many dynamic link issues to name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been happening on and off since about 2020. It will happen for several months, then will phase out (I think as I move on to new projects). I've never been able to figure out what causes it. It's happened across multiple computers. All MacBook Pros.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the same problem with the latest 2023 update. I have MacBook Pro M1...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same for me, updated to 2023, all the AE dynamic links in the timeline are red. If I try and relink media, it just gives errors. This is effed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've given up on it and now use "Render and Replace".

Votes

Translate

Translate