• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Blurry Image in Sequence (makes no sense)

Explorer ,
Jul 05, 2023 Jul 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you can see in the images below, if pulling it up in the source (or outside the program), the same image is sharper than in the main sequence.  I thought it might've just had something to do with the preview (even though I checked and had the pause and playback resolution set to full, with high quality playback), but whether after it's rendered or exported, it remains relatively more blurry than the source.

Even more strange is that I have nine of these images/slides and this is only the case for the first two.  I checked and they all have the same resolution (quite high actually - 6600 x 17000) and the sequence/video itself is set to 4K resolution (3840 x 2160).  There are no effects added to the images.  Any ideas as to how/why this might be happening and a way to fix it?

Screenshot 1.pngScreenshot 2.pngScreenshot 3.png

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
Editing and playback , Export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jul 06, 2023 Jul 06, 2023

I didn't exactly solve it but I resolved but copying over the attributes (other than the scale) to their replacement in the timeline (using the same/original files in the bin).  Would not be great if this happened in the future, not knowing why...  Perhaps it had to do with me accidentally using the "Scale to Frame Size" feature/function rather than "Set to Frame Size".

EDIT: In fact, having just looked into the difference between the two, I'm fairly confident that that most probably was it.

Votes

Translate

Translate
5 Comments
Explorer ,
Jul 06, 2023 Jul 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More information: so I checked the scale of those two images (to fill the width of the intended frame) and it is ~344% (while on all the other images, it is 43.6%)!... It makes sense now why they're more blurry (even more when they are rendered, I think if high quality rendering for the sequence isn't selected), but it still doesn't make sense why that is the case with them. I checked the properties of the images in the timeline and they are 6600 x 17000, just like the other ones. I do find however if I newly place the image from the bin into the timeline, it doesn't have this problem, but the point would be to figure out what caused the issue in the first place (because I already have all the motion/position that I need automated in the original ones).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 06, 2023 Jul 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't exactly solve it but I resolved but copying over the attributes (other than the scale) to their replacement in the timeline (using the same/original files in the bin).  Would not be great if this happened in the future, not knowing why...  Perhaps it had to do with me accidentally using the "Scale to Frame Size" feature/function rather than "Set to Frame Size".

EDIT: In fact, having just looked into the difference between the two, I'm fairly confident that that most probably was it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jul 07, 2023 Jul 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

try to set video preview format to QuickTime in Sequence Settings

try to export to QuickTime rather than H.264

try to use formats other than png or save your png from Photoshop again.

Check Sequence settings, your image settings, export settings, match them as much as you can.

Are you on Software only renderer or GPU accelerated? check for any GPU driver studio updates.

when planning to scale images in Premiere Pro:

https://larryjordan.com/articles/a-premiere-preference-that-makes-a-difference-set-vs-scale/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 10, 2023 Jul 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, thanks for the suggestions!  I will look into your recommendations.

I have some follow-up questions; I hope that's okay.  I wouldn't be looking to export to H.264.  I'd be looking to export to H.265.  Is this a problem?  That being the case, would it still make sense to set the video preview format to Quicktime (since it wouldn't match now)?  (I actually don't remember even seeing that sort of option in Sequence Settings but of course I'll check).

I have a 3050 Ti graphics card so yes, I am using the graphics acceleration with everything.  I'm guessing not to use the PNG file format because of its "ZIP" like compression?  I wouldn't want to use JPG due to imae degradation with the compression.  Would using BMP be optimal then?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 11, 2023 Jul 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Okay, so you mentioned to set the Preview File Format to Quicktime (instead of "I-Frame Only MPEG").  The default codec is "Animation".  Is that fine?  Not sure what that is.  I feel more inclined to set it to "None (Uncompressed YUV 8-bit)" which is the color space and depth I would be exporting to (given that none of the source material has 10-bit that I'm working with).

Votes

Translate

Translate