• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Keyframed elements move unexpectedly and unbidden due to buggy Bezier Spatial Interpolation

Participant ,
Feb 12, 2023 Feb 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have such problems with PPro's unpredictable and inexact keyframing that i animate almost everything in Adobe Animate and export it as sequential PNGs so that i can have more control. It shouldn't have to be this way.

This is my current frustrating issue, which is bothering me enough that i'm submitting a bug report about it.

1. i have an imported png image on Video layer 1 (V1) on my sequence.
  2. It is scaled to 76%. Its top edge is lined up with the top of the view in the Program monitor. The rest of the image trails off past the bottom of the sequence view.
  3. i select the png on the Sequence panel.
  4. i set a Position keyframe for it by clicking the clock icon next to the Position attribute in the Effect Controls panel.
  5. i advance 5 frames by pressing the right arrow key on my keyboard.
  6. i set a second Position keyframe by clicking the little circular Add/Remove Keyframe button in the Effect Controls panel.
  7. i click and drag the png up a few hundred pixels in the Program monitor, so that now the bottom of the image aligns with the bottom of the view in the Program panel, and the rest of the image extends out of view past the top of the screen.
  8. Using the right mouse button context menu, i set the first keyframe to Temporal Interpolation: Ease Out.
  9. Using the right mouse button context menu, i set the second keyframe to Temportal Interpolation: Ease In.
  10. i click the expand arrow to the left of the Position attribute label to view the motion graph. i see a nice little bell curve. Lovely.
    i press the right arrow key on my keyboard to step one time tick forward (so, the next frame).
  11. The png that i've been animating moves up on its own.

On frame 6, it moves up. There are only keyframes for frame 1 and frame 5. On frame 6, the png moves up.

Its Y position in the Effect Controls panel doesn't change (the number stays the same) from frame 5 to frame 6. Yet visually, the png moves up about 5 or 6 pixels. i've confirmed this by clicking the Export Frame button on the Program panel to export that frame as a png and bring it into Photoshop. Photoshop confirms there's a clear 5 or 6 pixel gap at the bottom of the image, indicating that PPro has moved the image up, unbidden. Yet there is no keyframe there. And the Effect Controls panel does not report a change in its Y position.

This issue can be "fixed" (worked around) by right-clicking each keyframe and selecting Spatial Interpolation>Linear (the default setting is "Bezier," which often causes all these buggy problems). i don't really care how Bezier is supposed to work — i don't use it, because i need precise control over my animations. But i don't want Premiere just deciding to move my graphics around on a whim, especially on frames where i haven't even set a keyframe, and especially where the Effect Controls panel doesn't even report the correct positional values for the keyframed asset!

There are all kinds of flukey/buggy things going on with keyframing in Premiere Pro, but can we start there? You can't convince me that this is expected/intended(/acceptable) software behaviour!

- Ryan

Premiere Pro v22.2.0 build 128

Windows 10Pro OS build 19044.2486
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700 CPU @ 3.60GHz 3.60 GHz
32 GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070

animationProblem1.jpg

animationProblem2.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 19, 2024 Mar 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello @Untold Entertainment Inc.,

Thanks for the message and the screenshots. I'm sorry that I don't see a solution listed here. Are you still having this issue? If so, let the group know. I'll move your post to the Discussions board while we await your information.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines